For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kilberry Book: form question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilberry Book: form question

Am finally getting a chance to delve into the Kilberry Book, and I'm wicked stoked. A question, however, and those who have been playing this music longer than me hopefully have insight.

While reading the ground for Lament For The Harp Tree (why not start at the beginning), there is a 1st ending bracket, but no repeat sign at the end of its measure; instead the repeat sign is at the end of the 2nd ending. While I'm well versed in lots of pipe notation eccentricities, this is one I've never seen. Should one return to the beginning of Line 1 at the end of the 1st ending bracket? Or are both the 1st and 2nd ending to be played the first time around, and then only play the 2nd ending on the repeat?
    www.nybagpipes.com

The repeat sign should be between brackets 1 and 2. It is that way in David Glen's setting which Kilberry copied, so it's obviously a mistake. Play the line with ending 1, then repeat with ending 2.
    As a general rule, anything in Kilberry should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    As I pointed out in response to another query,

Originally posted by Scratcher View Post
    You’ll occasionally read news reports of a some church caretaker in Italy, who out of love and devotion, touches up the paintwork of a da Vinci or the like which has started to fade – with predictable outcomes.
    The Kilberry book is the pibroch equivalent.
    Cheers
    Scratch
    Last edited by Scratcher; 09-26-2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

If you are strongly interested in the Kilberry book, I'd advise acquiring the "Sidelights...". and "Further Sidelights on the Kiberry book of Ceol Mor". These were compiled and edited by James Campbell and illuminate many of the peculiarities of the book. As Bob Reid once remarked, the problem with Kilberry is often not so much what he wrote, but the untrained piper's inability to understand what was written.

Comment

Thank you for the insights! I also compared Lament For The Old Sword and Glengarry's Lament, both of which I took from Scots Guards, to the versions printed in Kilberry, and the Crunluath a mach movements are missing. This appears to be common throughout the Kilberry book. I listened to the recording of Lament For The Earl of Antrim on the Piob Society's web site while following along in the book, and the book completely fails to mention an a mach.

What's up with that?

Edit: Guess I should read more thoroughly before posting, page 18 explains this.
        Last edited by iunderwood; 09-27-2021, 06:32 PM.
        www.nybagpipes.com

Comment

Actually, if I recall correctly, Campbell addresses the a mach issue in the introduction to his book. He states that he only specified the crunluath a mach on tunes that had a taorluath a mach. Otherwise, he recognized that different traditions sometimes played or sometime didn't play the crunluath version and that a piper could add or omit it but there was no point in cluttering up the page. I imagine this is on the the "page 18" you mention, I'm drawing this from memory. It's good to remember that the Kilberry book was an effort to record the playing of Campbell's particular set of teachers. Good, bad or indifferent, that was his intent. The PS collection which he edited had a rather different aim.

Comment

Working...
          X