For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-throw choice - light vs. heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-throw choice - light vs. heavy

Do any of you choose to play "heavy" D throws for light music, but "light" D throws for piobaireachd? Why or why not? As a student I was taught only the heavy throw, but on the piobaireachd I'm currently working on - "The Phantom Piper of Corrieyairack" - the light throw pleases my ear.

Thanks!
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Like you, I was taught the "heavy" throw. However, as an instructor in a junior band, we were teaching the "light" throw. That said, I believe we should all learn and master both; then choose for whatever we're doing. In anything, playing or life, I like options.

Comment

I’m in the same camp with Equus....learn both..very well....then be consistent to always play only one in any given tune

Comment

Thank you both. Though I'm a mediocre piper, I can play both D throws well. I guess I was more wondering if some pipers play both types of throw, one for light music and the other for piobaireachd; and if they do, why do they make that choice? Thanks again!
        Eddie
        "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Eddie, I do. I was generally taught heavy for light music and light for piobaireachd. There are some 3/4's and 6/8's I choose to play light throws as they sound better to me in those specific tunes. And slow airs I exclusively play light. As for why: each sounds best to me where played. I don't intentionally mix the two in the same tune, however.

I do make one exception currently with the heavy throw in piobaireachd. I play a heavy d throw in the "Bells of Perth" as set in the MacArthur-MacGregor Manuscript. A heavy throw seems balanced with the setting.

I'm no expert and only play for my enjoyment anymore, fwiw.

Chris
          Chris Knife

Comment

I pretty much always use the heavy throw in light music....but when I decided to go down the piobaireachd path, my teacher told me to use the light one.
            I also dwell a little longer on the low G, then spring up to the D, C, D in piob....

Comment

Light throw in piob, heavy in light music. I actually would like to try to incorporate the light throw into my light music playing, but the muscle memory is very, very strongly ingrained.
              www.nybagpipes.com

Comment

I was taught the heavy throw first and the light throw much later for slow airs. I think I can speak for a lot of pipers that the green book method of learning the heavy throw was somewhat traumatic, and for me resulted in an overly deliberate "huh-ko-huh-ha-D".
                Over the past few years, instead of starting students with Scots Wha Hae and its accompanying heavy throws, I start them on a simpler rhythm tune like The Dawning of the Day or Suo Gan and introduce them to the grip to C, emphasizing the importance of the two low G gracenotes, separated by a D. It also helps them get the idea that the gdg gracenotes are the basis for the taorluaths and crunluaths they'll learn later. And what do you know? By the time they can play a decent grip to C, you introduce the heavy throw and tell them its a grip to C that goes immediately to D, and they get it bang on first try. Teaching them a light throw after that is a breeze.
                Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

That's very valuable, as I also teach beginners now....thank you!

Comment

Thanks to you all for your comments! I'm trying both throws on a couple of pib tunes, but leaning toward the light throw, with a subtle pause on the first low g, as Lochie noted.
                    Eddie

Comment

Minutes after posting that last message, a search for the tune I'm working on - the Phantom Piper of Corrieyairack - found a video of Colin MacLellan, whose father composed the tune, playing it on his practice chanter. There are only six D throws in the tune, all in the ground, and he plays them all with a heavy throw. And, as would be expected, he makes it sound perfect....
                      Eddie

Comment

Working...
                      X