For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crunluath a mach and the Kilberry Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunluath a mach and the Kilberry Book

When learning a piece from the Kilberry Book, is it common to play an a mach even when it is not included in the written music? What would the formula be for creating an a mach movement? I know that Campbell wrote the book to reflect the method that he was taught, which, in most cases, did not incorporate a crunluath a mach.

Forgive me, I'm new to piobairachd, even though I have been piping light music all my life. I'm just three tunes into building my repertoire (having a tough time with memorization), and my first two pieces had a machs written down (Glengarry's Lament and Lament For The Old Sword, both from Scots Guards). I'm also self-teaching through listening and reading the music. Of course the tune that I am getting down now is The Old Men Of The Shells, and that is one that certainly doesn't seem to need the extra movement. But very curious for the purposes of future learning.
    www.nybagpipes.com

The formula, such as it is, is simply to replace B, C, and D crunluaths with crunluath a mach movements. If you compare the variations in the Guards book note by note you'll see it's a pretty straightforward process.

In general, tunes will state whether or not an a mach is usual. There are some tunes where one is (often) played and not written, but that's honestly not something to worry about at an early stage. Whether or not to do so is a musical judgement, and no-one will ding a beginner for following the music.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Working...
    X