For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to Practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Practices?

Is your band back to practices, yet? If so, what's the atmosphere like? Masks (as best as can be) being worn? Distancing going on? How surreal is it? (Or not?).

We're still not back to sessions, though we've actually been talking about having a party first. That, too, might be surreal (although welcomed).

Re: Back to Practices?

After a couple months of Zoom practices, which I thought were very successful, we had our first in-person practice last weekend.

We did pads and chanters in a big circle to maintain the required 6 foot distance. Masks except when blowing the chanters!

It was great to see everyone, and hear the music whole again.
    proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Interesting. How well did the sound come through on the Zoom meetings?
      "It only has 9 notes...how hard can it be to play?"

Comment

Since I first posted, we started Zoom meetings, which went OK, though there were the occasional "freezes". Obviously, that didn't work to play together; so we'd go around for solos. However, we started outdoor practices in August (every member is vaccinated), which has been wonderful. We start indoor practices next week; and we have already had some gigs. So wonderful!

Comment

We've been back to live practices on the pipes for a while now.

But I think the Zoom practices were very useful, so useful that I think it might be a good thing to do those once a month, or even alternate live and Zoom practices.

Thing is, with Zoom each piper, in effect, is playing a duet with the Pipe Major, so you can really lock into the PM's fingers closeup, and lock into the PM's sound without having to listen through a dozen other pipers to hear it (some of those dozen pipers themselves not locked into the PM's playing and giving you mixed messages).

This was so effective that the first time we got together the Pipe Corps was the tightest it's ever been! And the more live practices we have, the less locked-in the Pipe Corps has got.
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
            We've been back to live practices on the pipes for a while now.

But I think the Zoom practices were very useful, so useful that I think it might be a good thing to do those once a month, or even alternate live and Zoom practices.

Thing is, with Zoom each piper, in effect, is playing a duet with the Pipe Major, so you can really lock into the PM's fingers closeup, and lock into the PM's sound without having to listen through a dozen other pipers to hear it (some of those dozen pipers themselves not locked into the PM's playing and giving you mixed messages).

This was so effective that the first time we got together the Pipe Corps was the tightest it's ever been! And the more live practices we have, the less locked-in the Pipe Corps has got.
            I do think that's a great approach. Unfortunately, the various bandwidths, accompanied with occasional freezes, etc. made duets less that optimal. However, we did versions of our chanters and pads practices of solos around the table. On Zoom the P/M would play something; then we' d go "around the table" for each person to match it and receive comments. Worked fairly well.

Comment

My band just got back to practices, officially....there were a few unofficial parking lot meet ups.
              We also did zoom for almost a year. As PM I hated it...me playing non stop while tiny little muted postage stamp sized pipers stared on, presumably playing.
              I couldn't hear them. Time delay wouldn't permit.
              So I asked each piper to email me a recording of them playing the tune of the week for me evaluate.
              This worked out well....
              Some pipers told me it took 30 tries to get a recording worth sending...
              Congrats! You just practiced, well, the tune 30 times...never happened before covid....

Comment

Working...
              X