For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2/4 Marching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/4 Marching

Is it ok to march on each half beat instead of the beat notes when playing in the competition arena?
    "It works better if you blow into the bag"

Short answer: no. Long answer: in the entry grades, if you otherwise did a very competent job a judge might overlook it, but you've given yourself a big hill to climb. I wouldn't recommend it, in short.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Why develop a bad habit that you'll just have to break later?
      Why lacrosse is better than baseball:
      Because hitting a person and then running to a ball is better than hitting a ball and running to a person. From Lax Magazine

Comment

Marching to the beat requires an understanding of where the beat is. I am not a judge, but if I were, I would deduct points, though not disqualify you. However, to march 4 beats to a 2/4, you must be playing dreadfully slow and I think that would also affect the rating of the performance.
        My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

I'd agree with all of the above. Good advice there.

if you can tap away at the half beats then you should easily be able to adapt to the whole beats.

Comment

Originally posted by PRAIRIEPIPER View Post

Is it ok to march on each half beat....?
            You didn’t state exactly why ,..but why would a band do this?
            As others chimed in it could be a show stopper for several reasons.

Comment

You would have to play too slow and march too fast to make that work.

Are there any YouTube videos of this being done?
              Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-29-2021, 06:34 AM.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I remember reading something about the 78th Frasers (not Halifax) having to march in to their medley one time back in the 80s either ridiculously slowly or on the half beats due to the waulking song they opened with.
                You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYCSvY6fXA

The RSPBA, not being able to actually disqualify them for such flagrant displays of music-making, promptly enacted a rule saying that all intro tempos must exceed 60bpm. Rather daft, especially considering that the medley in question does (just).
                  http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                  -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

The OP specified "2/4 Marching" which I assume means marching to 2/4 Marches (in the normal meaning of "2/4 Marches" in Highland piping).
                    proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I get the reason behind the question, I know when I'm learning a new 2/4 March I will sometimes tap out the half beats just to make sure it's lined up when practicing. I wouldn't do it in a competitive setting, but I get that desire.
                      Don't ask my neighbors about my piping skills. They don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by Melodiethegreat View Post
                        I get the reason behind the question, I know when I'm learning a new 2/4 March I will sometimes tap out the half beats just to make sure it's lined up when practicing. I wouldn't do it in a competitive setting, but I get that desire.
                        For sure when you see a Grade One band at the Worlds about to start their MSR you'll see the Pipe Major sing and conduct the start of the March, and they're often stressing the "and"

one AND two AND

in other words four stressed beats per bar rather than two as the sheet music suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by CalumII View Post
                          1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYCSvY6fXA

The RSPBA, not being able to actually disqualify them for such flagrant displays of music-making, promptly enacted a rule saying that all intro tempos must exceed 60bpm. Rather daft, especially considering that the medley in question does (just).
                          Wow, I love that medley opening. Silly RSPBA.
                          www.nybagpipes.com

Comment

Working...
                          X