Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning ... mishap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning ... mishap?

Hi all,

I went to season my first hide bag today. The instructions seemed pretty straightforward, and I watched the RG Hardie video on youtube and read some posts on here, etc. before I started.
    The bag is a Begg cowhide, and it is blue. After following the insructions, and testing for airtight, when I went to drain it the seasoning had turned into a blue foam, like the soap they use at the carwash. It was no longer runny, so wasn't really draining out of the bag. Maybe I didn't get enough air out of the bag before rubbing it around, and inadvertently lathered it up? Anyway now it's still all over inside the bag. I heated some more, and poured it in and gently rubbed it around to try to pick up what was in there, and that helped get most of it to drain out. But the bag still feels quite wet inside, and I can see sudsy wetness if I look thru a stock at the interior surface of the bag. Is this bad? I'm not sure that gravity will drain all of this out.

Re: Seasoning ... mishap?

What brand of seasoning?

There should be a slippery film of it inside the bag, this is normal. Turning blue though...?

Comment

Thanks BGP,

I used Airtight, from a new unopened bottle.

The blue I'm assuming is from whatever was used to dye the bag blue. Maybe they used a bit much and it reacted with the seasoning? The seasoning was cream color at the beginning.

I eventually stuck a rag thru a stock and wiped out some of the excess since it wasn't draining so easily. Still airtight. I'll play it tomorrow and see how everything goes, hopefully no foam on my reeds. I can have an instructor look at it during the week, in the meantime though I hope I didn't gack up the bag doing something wrong.

Comment

I used to drain the seasoning overnight to give it a good chance to clear out. Then, thoroughly wipe out the stocks. Just what I was taught. I don't think anything is wrong with your bag or seasoning, just apply some patience.

Cheers!

Comment

If you haven't already....y not give a direct call to the Begg shop to discuss?...or at least send a concise email of the situation and give you piece of mind. They are responsive and helpful.

Comment

So you got very little back out, did you use the whole bottle? It shouldn't absorb a whole bottle, maybe 1/3 of one.

I think you're probably fine. Clean the stocks and give it a play.

Comment

Working...
            X