Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New video/exercise sheet for learning Heavy D throws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video/exercise sheet for learning Heavy D throws

Hello! I wanted to let folks know I have recently made a video with my approach to learning heavy D Throws, and my method is unlike how I have seen others teach this often troublesome embellishment and thought folks here might want to check it out. There's a downloadable PDF in the description for the exercise.
    https://youtu.be/xD3Frmqrxmk

Cheers!
    Matt Willis Bagpiper
    YouTube Channel Winner of the 2020 The Big Rab Show Awards for Best Social Media!
    Personal Website

Re: New video/exercise sheet for learning Heavy D throws

Originally posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
    Hello! I wanted to let folks know I have recently made a video with my approach to learning heavy D Throws, and my method is unlike how I have seen others teach this often troublesome embellishment and thought folks here might want to check it out. There's a downloadable PDF in the description for the exercise.
    https://youtu.be/xD3Frmqrxmk

Cheers!
    Thanks Matt, I will give them a try this weekend

Comment

Sounds strong and neat. Left a comment..what solo scoresheet comments you might have received when using this ‘crossing noise’ D throw.

Comment

Our PM and instructor only taught us the light D throw, but when we play tunes together on practice chanter, I usually hear him play the heavy D throw as you are playing it in your video. I will work this into my practice. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
          Sounds strong and neat. Left a comment..what solo scoresheet comments you might have received when using this ‘crossing noise’ D throw.
          Thanks! My reply on YouTube (in case anyone else wanted to join the discussion here): "Well, (in my opinion) every heavy D throw has a crossing noise! My scores sheets generally had positive comments about my heavy D throws... Now if only my other embellishments were as good back in the day!"
          Matt Willis Bagpiper
          YouTube Channel Winner of the 2020 The Big Rab Show Awards for Best Social Media!
          Personal Website

Comment

Too many modern era Pipers play that ghastly light D throw...as Pipe Major Angus would say..."there canna be a throw on D, without low G."
            "...I think that I will take two small bottles of Dubonnet and gin with me this morning, in case it is needed..."
            Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother

Comment

I was taught to play a grip (leumluath) on C, then raise the lower-hand index finger to get D. I think that's what many pipers are actually doing, though they might not be conceptualizing it in that way.

(There's often a disconnect between what musicians conceptualise they are doing and what they are actually doing.)

In any case our old PM played heavy D-throws with two clear clean Low G's in there, rather than the sloppy mess one sometimes hears.

Well he played the light D-throws too; he would use whichever one he thought was best for the situation, and would write out tunes clearly showing which D-throw he wanted us to play.
              Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-30-2019, 05:12 AM.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by magsevenband View Post
                Too many modern era Pipers play that ghastly light D throw...as Pipe Major Angus would say..."there canna be a throw on D, without low G."
                But the light D throw has a low G, or did he mean the low G after that low G? Could he have been referring to how some players fail to properly sound a low G on D throws in general, or was he specifically talking about heavy D throws being superior? Also, can light D throws really be that bad if they are commonly used in Piobaireachd, or you find them just undesirable in light music? I ask these questions in a spirit of wanting to learn, not to try and criticize your post, so please don't take it that way

Comment

Originally posted by Triskele View Post
                  Could he have been referring to how some players fail to properly sound a low G on D throws in general,
                  Exactly...I understand the preference of some players for some situations, but there's nothing quite like the sound of a proper heavy D throw..especially with a bit of style and flair attached.
                  "...I think that I will take two small bottles of Dubonnet and gin with me this morning, in case it is needed..."
                  Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother

Comment

Matt,
                    You mention in the video you came to using this crossing-noise technique after analyzing some of the best players. Do you have any videos for reference? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I've never seen/heard it taught this way nor have I ever heard any upper/open grade pipers play their heavy d-throws with the crossing noise technique.

-Matthew

Comment

Greetings to Matt, and to All,

Firstly... Matt... another marvelously grand contribution..
                      and... thank you!!

On a slightly different note (oh groan... ... again I am
                      reminded of the Forum chat a while back... on the first
                      and many editions of the old CoP Tutor Book... where
                      what many now call the Heavy Throw on D... was... and
                      simply offered as the (seemingly) preferred way... of being
                      able to play what was then but simply one of three ways to
                      play... Double D.

Tide and Time... and nomenclatures (and even ours may
                      come and go... but how so e'er it may now be called... or be
                      named in the Future... it is... and remains... a damned fine
                      adornment... and should be played... when ever it is to be the
                      most musically... appropriate... to the ear.

And yes, it was and is... the toughest of the three "possibles"
                      given in the old CoP Green Book... but to my stone ear... more
                      than well worth... the tussle...

And on a side note... (oh groan... and groan again...... I have
                      found the tune, "Balmoral"... to be quite useful... in being able...
                      to help slip this particular musical arrow... into any new piper's
                      quiver...

Ah, Matt, again...many thanks... for another job... Well Done!!

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 07-02-2019, 09:47 AM.
                      My friends all know,
                      With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Originally posted by 3D Piper View Post
                        Matt,
                        You mention in the video you came to using this crossing-noise technique after analyzing some of the best players. Do you have any videos for reference? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I've never seen/heard it taught this way nor have I ever heard any upper/open grade pipers play their heavy d-throws with the crossing noise technique.

-Matthew
                        Apologies for the delay in responding; just saw this question today. I used the program Amazing Slow Downer to analyze several tracks from Willie McCallum, Jack Lee, and James McGillivray from their World's Greatest Pipers CDs. I didn't record the process, so for a future video, I'll again try to reverse engineer what I did for everyone to hear (though it'll be tough as I don't want to demonetize a video using copyrighted music!)

Also, I don't think anyone has ever thought of it as a "crossing noise" when they play it, but in listening back at super slow speeds (as well as building digital/MIDI models), when the second low G is the same speed as the first, it just doesn't sound like a D throw. It sounds like a grip to C then to D, which while cool, well, it doesn't sound like what you expect a D throw to sound like.
                        Matt Willis Bagpiper
                        Personal Website

Comment

Working...
                        X