Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone identify these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify these?

All I know is that my friend bought these 30 years ago and says that he believes the mounts are either ivory or ebony. Heíd also like to know the value as heís interested in selling.
    Thanks in advance. Ralph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Can anyone identify these?

By no means an expert, but these look like Hardies to me. Possible 50ís?
    The pictures are too low res to say if the mounts are ivory or not, but the patina and age suggests they are.

Comment

Originally posted by OHCalman View Post
      By no means an expert, but these look like Hardies to me. Possible 50ís?
      The pictures are too low res to say if the mounts are ivory or not, but the patina and age suggests they are.
      If 50ís ...the mounts would be orange; the OP mentioned the pipes were bought only 30 yrs ago...the age of non yellowing plastics on pipes.

Comment

The mounts are definitely not ebony. Thatís all I can say for sure.
        You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Fogelman View Post

The mounts are definitely not ebony. Thatís all I can say for sure

Iíll go with that.😁. I took a closer look and despite grainy pix..they do sort of appear to be Ďnaturalí ...the way they are hand oil stained around the grip areas. ( I have an old recipe that removes that) . Seeming more
          Ike Ď50ís vintage might be feasible.

Comment

Mid-matched set...stocks are turned with flat beading...whereas the rest of the set is typical beading and combing.

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
              If 50ís ...the mounts would be orange; the OP mentioned the pipes were bought only 30 yrs ago...the age of non yellowing plastics on pipes.
              Yes, the mounts would be orange if they were catalin. These look to be ivory, which the OP could confirm by posting a higher resolution picture with the Schaefer lines visible.
              OP also doesnít say if they were bought new or second hand, so thatís not a good judge of the era.

Comment

Originally posted by OHCalman View Post
                Yes, the mounts would be orange if they were catalin. These look to be ivory, which the OP could confirm by posting a higher resolution picture with the Schaefer lines visible.
                OP also doesnít say if they were bought new or second hand, so thatís not a good judge of the era.

Not necessarily - it's UV that turns them orange, so if you put it in a box and leave it, it will stay white. But I agree these do look more like ivory from this distance.
                http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

I am not convinced they are Hardie. The projecting mounts don't look right to me for them to be Hardie. The chanter doesn't look like it has a maker's stamp, although it (as if often the case) could have been bought separately.

will

Comment

Had another look. Bushes don't look like Hardie either.

will

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for all your input. Iíll see if I can get my friend to take some better pictures of these so we can identify the maker. He did indicate to me that he bought these ďusedĒ 30 years ago.
                      Respectfully, Ralph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X