Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chanter reed end of life signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post

I had this recently with a ghb reed...finally ameliorated the issues after I razor cut a slim ~1/2 mm off the lips.
    I might try this, though the reed is certainly looking worse for wear being darker in color and the F has now since collapsed. Its-dead-jim.jpg
    Happy Piping

Comment

I’d use my Jori reed poker....quite often does the trick.

or, barely but strongly gripping the edges of the blades on both sides with a small crescent of the thumb and forefinger...try to ‘pull’ the reed apart....this seems often to help the F.

all else failing....bin it.

Btw...what maker reed are you using? Is it ridged or molded? Strength ...h2o ?

Comment

For what they cost, I think pipers can be overly keen to hang on to them. Look after a reed well and it will last, but if you're asking if your reed needs replaced...just get on and do it, I'd say.
        http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
        -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
          I’d use my Jori reed poker....quite often does the trick.

or, barely but strongly gripping the edges of the blades on both sides with a small crescent of the thumb and forefinger...try to ‘pull’ the reed apart....this seems often to help the F.

all else failing....bin it.

Btw...what maker reed are you using? Is it ridged or molded? Strength ...h2o ?
          Ridge cut, it was a Chesney and strength was 25-26in. If it were only a couple months old I might try and poke it but in this case it's old and off color. Being easy it also wears down faster.

Originally posted by Calum View Post
          For what they cost, I think pipers can be overly keen to hang on to them. Look after a reed well and it will last, but if you're asking if your reed needs replaced...just get on and do it, I'd say.
          I suppose I tend to agree with this. Getting a new reed going can be such a fantastic PITA though that it is sometimes frustrating to face.

This particular reed has been going for months with plenty of wet/dry cycles so I don't feel terrible binning it for the $17US/12. Just more dealing with finding another reed that doesn't require faffing about.
          Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post

Ridge cut, it was a Chesney and strength was 25-26in. If it were only a couple months old I might try and poke it but in this case it's old and off color. Being easy it also wears down faster.

I
            Copper or brass staple Chesney?. I suppose it wouldn’t make a diff in a reed hospice scenario.. ...and you prob know one is meant for the Cheney chanter.

Comment

Working...
            X