Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moose Valve question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Valve question

My Gibsons have a split blowpipe stock with a tube trap, and I was curious about using a Moose Valve. I know it won't fit into the stock, but it possible to install it in the tube itself near the stock? I have a Trap Dri installed, but it's down toward the end of the tube. Just wondering...

Thanks,
    Kevin
    "Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."
    ó Ray Bradbury

Re: Moose Valve question

I experimented with a Moose valve in the end of my tube trap, downstream from a trap-dri. It worked fine except for the time the tube fell out of the blowpipe stock. Led to a rather busy tongue until the end of that set of tunes!
    Aaron Shaw
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
      I experimented with a Moose valve in the end of my tube trap, downstream from a trap-dri. It worked fine except for the time the tube fell out of the blowpipe stock. Led to a rather busy tongue until the end of that set of tunes!

I can't even imagine!
      "Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."
      ó Ray Bradbury

Comment

Depends on the split stock I suppose. I have two split stocks with tube traps and moose valves in the top halves of both. The moose valve catches the majority of the liquid and I can just tip the stock to dump it every set or three, and the tube catches most of the remainder and I pull & dump it at the end of a playing session.

Have you actually tried it for fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
          I thought about doing that, but didnít want to have to figure out something in an emergency when we have to pull our traps out at Pleasanton.
          You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Palm View Post
            possible to install it in the tube itself near the stock?
            Hey Kevin, just wondering if you tried this, and if so how did it go?

I also have Gibsons and would like to try a Moose valve.

Michigan Scottish Pipes and Drums
            www.michiganscottish.org

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Palm View Post
              My Gibsons have a split blowpipe stock with a tube trap, and I was curious about using a Moose Valve. I know it won't fit into the stock, but it possible to install it in the tube itself near the stock? I have a Trap Dri installed, but it's down toward the end of the tube. Just wondering...

Thanks,
              Kevin
              Installing the Moose valve ( a great invention for it's time) in the tube near the stock will prevent you from pouring off the condensate. It's a one way valve.
              Installing at the far end would do nothing and act as if no valve at all ... it would be past the moisture laden air holes of the tube.

My ' no moving parts' Trap Dri is installed mid way as per the instructions. it works incredibly well...bag is always dry..pour off is plenty. I'm grateful to have a McCallum integral valve blow stick which matches my 'go to' pipes...no potential flapper damage during pour off.
              On my other pipes which use a traditional tied syn flapper it's as airtight 99.99% as a Moose valve.

Comment

Working...
              X