Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What make am I looking at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What make am I looking at?

Saw these pipes on an auction site and I am... confused by the blowpipe and the turning. Thoughts?

Ill try to track down the link if there’s interest in seeing more
    Attached Files
    Last edited by J.R.; 02-16-2021, 10:55 AM.

Hmm... The rolled edges on the ferrules bespeak Lawrie... unless
    some others have now begun to copy.

Good Luck!!... with finding more links 'n pics!!
    (Shall be a great help!!)
    My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Hmm. It rather looks like the wood has been painted black. Or is that just the photo?

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Edited the original post to include more images and adding the link in this reply. As much as I hate posting auction links and potentially driving up prices, I think it's worth putting these on the radar. LiveAuctioneers is a pretty mixed bag. Periodically nice sets will come up for auction, but just as frequently Pakistani and lower tier/damaged pipes are on offer.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...arved-bone-and

I'm always apprehensive when the auction house misidentifies something - here it seems like they're cagey about the mount material and the dates. The silver stamps on the drones, bodged up mouth piece, and chanter sole are relatively recent - 70s to mid aughts (please correct me if I'm misreading). I also feel like an experienced auctioneer knows the difference between "bone" and "ivory". Not sure if that's intentional or not (also not seeing shreger lines). I also know silver isn't always the best tool to use to date pipes since they can be a retrofit.

Anyway, like most of us, I dream of coming across a vintage silver and ivory set at an auction or dusty antique shop and walking out with them for a song, but maybe those days are gone. And in the case of these pipes, I have a feeling that once the final price plus the auctioneer's premium and the shipping fees come in to play, they won't be much of a deal - especially if there are condition issues.

That said... would love to know what happened with the mouthpiece. I've never seen anything like it before!

If any forumites take a chance, would love to find out more!

Comment

The silver hallmark in the last picture is from Edinboro, 2006.
          beading and combing looks like many styles.
          here’s a reference for the hallmark dating:
          www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/Edinburgh/Cycle%202000-2024.html
          Last edited by Toxpert; 02-16-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I noticed that - the weird mouthpiece tube is from 2006 and looks to be jammed on, and the silver on the drones and the chanter look to be from 1971 (and Birmingham). Agreed on turning. A strange set for sure.

Comment

One of the silver bass ferrules is shown in the pics...and looks crushed. The end of the ferrule is mushroomed...kinda like the tenon it was installed upon was too short and they hammered the ferrule, flattening it.

Comment

The silver is marked Edinburgh, the date letter (lowercase g) would be 2006.

Edinburgh Date Letters (silvermakersmarks.co.uk)

D&N is the firm Dalman and Narborough.

Many makers over the years have got their silver mounts from D&N so the silver won't be any help figuring out the maker. To identify the maker good photos of the wood and ivory parts, not the silver, are what's needed.

The projecting mounts are an unusual shape so those pipes ought to be easy to identify, but sorry to say the shape doesn't ring a bell with me.
                Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-17-2021, 03:25 PM.
                proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
                  The silver is marked Edinburgh, the date letter (lowercase g) would be 2006.

Edinburgh Date Letters (silvermakersmarks.co.uk)

D&N is the firm Dalman and Narborough.

Many makers over the years have got their silver mounts from D&N so the silver won't be any help figuring out the maker. To identify the maker good photos of the wood and ivory parts, not the silver, are what's needed.

The projecting mounts are an unusual shape so those pipes ought to be easy to identify, but sorry to say the shape doesn't ring a bell with me.

Yep, all of the above is understood and isn't really in dispute. Not sure if you read the other posts, but the photos are from an auction site, so that's what's on offer; I think it's pretty unlikely they'll take more since they're already misrepresenting various details. As far as using the silver to determine maker... yeah, nobody was suggesting that approach.

Just an unusual set with some strange features. I would guess I'm not the only piper to have stumbled on them, but wanted to share (sort of like the many eBay posts that are frequently shared).

Comment

Followed this on the auction site. They went for 1300 in the end.

Comment

Saw that. I don't remember what the premium is, but I think it was like 28%, so throw on on another 400. Not sure if VAT is also applicable for UK bidders. Shipping and maybe customs/CITES could be an issue for overseas purchaser. Either way, was too rich for my blood. Hopefully the purchaser is lurking on here and can let us know!

Comment

Remembered about the 28% after I posted. VAT was applicable for UK buyers at 20%. Not sure if that was on just the 1300, just the auctioneer's 28% or the whole amount. The auctioneer's could organise shipping.

I'm assuming the 'bone' description was ivory. There were other lots on the site for bone figurines which looked like ivory too. Perhaps it's the same as pipes sold on eBay with natural mounts. Using the word ivory brings attention.

It was 220 in the morning, I bid a few hundred as a punt. I thought even of the wood was bad I could recycle the mounts with new sticks for a cheaper half silver/ivory set.

Near 2k is a lot to pay for someone else's problems.

I suppose that opens a whole new debate as to whether old sets are worth it now? Naills, Macraes could be had for 1000 and are excellent pipes being played at the highest level. It was point Robert Wallace made on the Piobaireachd Society monthly talk about getting the right set of pipes. He said his initial set was good but was a struggle to get it right. It could let him down on the boards. It was only when he got hold of a set from an retiring player that was just right that he realised what he was missing. He said there's a reason most top players are playing new instruments.

Comment

Working...
                        X