Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atherton Premier Bagpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basic rundown that I could find was:

MD: A variation of a MacDougall bagpipe. I THINK he started with the MD specs, and then tweaked them for the aspects that he wanted. Ironed out the kinks so to speak.

Premier: Still tried to keep the BLEND of the MacDougall drones, but with a more punchy bass drone. My personal notes: lovely set. Light on the shoulder, and you can really feel the drones hum. A dream to play. Easy to find the sweet tuning spot in relation to the chanter. Each set of drone reeds I have tried brings something new out of the drones. Fun to experiment. Dark but sweet tone (very subjective, I know). Really fun to play.

Legacy: A more robust drone sound, a product of his own measurements/development. HUGE sound. Very punchy bass with very resonant tenors. My personal notes: big tone, almost too big to play in the house. Tone of the drones is great, and different than the Premiers. Great harmonics in relation to all three chanters that I have. IMO each chanter brings something different out of the drones, and it is really fun to play. ***Side note, I believe Patrick McLaurin tested some drone reeds in a legacy set and took notes on it, if you want to check out his page.***

Again, I have not spoken to Dave much. Above are my thoughts from all I could scrounge on the interwebs before I made the plunge into buying two sets.

Comment

Working...
    X