Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atherton premier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Amazon or Walmart
    Attached Files
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have seen those for sure thanks. They don’t look like they will put the phone in a spot and angle you actually see and use though.

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post
        I believe Dave Atherton has stopped and started production here and there, are they still being offered?
        He has been putting new sets up on Ebay from time to time, usually offering two or three sets at a time.

I know a wooden flute maker who has got worn out from 30 years of maintaining a waiting list, taking orders and deposits and keeping track of all the details concerning each order, and all the time spend on the phone and emailing with constant questions. So now he makes the flutes he wants to make, and when each flute is done he puts it up for sale.

I don't know what Atherton is doing, but his regular Ebay offerings appear to resemble that business model.

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Walton View Post

Your indignation aside, I care what accomplished pipers think, and their experiences and advice. It’s helped me in many ways over the years.
          Of course the experiences of the pros are important. I didn't interpret his response the same way...

I find the experience of average pipers to be, perhaps, more valuable in certain areas - especially when dealing with a known. In this case, the known is Dave's pipes in the hands of top players. While it is great that a top-level player can win an award, I want to know if someone of MY abilities will notice a difference. Do the pipes only sound good if the set-up and blowing are perfect? If so, I'd be hesitant to make the plunge. If, as in this case, there is a tangible difference audibly (and aesthetically)... then, I will go down the rabbit hole and enjoy every moment! I have several sets. Most I play. Dave's I truly enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
            That’s par for the course for almost everything marketed as “for pipers”

If you were to buy a set of 3 corks for drone tops and a set of 5 corks for stocks from a piping shop, that’ll run you $8-10 USD. The EXACT same corks can be bought at a hardware store for about $2 USD. They just don’t come in a little cellophane baggy at a Highland games or through the mail.
            Oof, so true.

Again, I want store owners and suppliers to earn an income. However, I also see such a steep entrance into our hobby for present and potential players from the shear difficulty of the music, the difficulty of the instrument, and the lengthy time involved to see results. Adding on top of this the large costs associated with every part and parcel of it from large to small is a detriment to everyone's success in my view.

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

He has been putting new sets up on Ebay from time to time, usually offering two or three sets at a time.

I know a wooden flute maker who has got worn out from 30 years of maintaining a waiting list, taking orders and deposits and keeping track of all the details concerning each order, and all the time spend on the phone and emailing with constant questions. So now he makes the flutes he wants to make, and when each flute is done he puts it up for sale.

I don't know what Atherton is doing, but his regular Ebay offerings appear to resemble that business model.
            Interesting, I'm sure it will work. I can see maintaining a waitlist and trying to understand each customers' unique requests as either very interesting or very tedious. Like you're mentioning Richard, an instrument maker could instead make what they want to make and what drives their passion, let people purchase the result.
            Happy Piping

Comment

Working...
            X