Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P/M R.U.Brown's Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/M R.U.Brown's Pipes

Every time I listen to old Piobaireachd recordings on Tobar an Dualchais or whatever, I 'm always impressed by the sound of Bob Brown's pipes. I listened to "You're welcome Ewen Locheil" on headphones a while back and I thought his drone sound was awesome. Does anyone know what make of drones he played? Thanks.

I was told quite some years ago they were Rosewood Hendersons.
    www.schoolofpiping.com

Comment

Cocus, perhaps, Brett? I had a set of cocus Hendersons in for a setup a few years ago that had originated with Donald MacLeod and they were one of the finest sets of drones I've ever heard.
      http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
      -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Whether Brown's Henderson's were rosewood or cocuswood, I don't know. But he played them for a good many years. In his later years, he acquired a lovely set of S&I MacDougalls which he played in the recording of "The Cairn on The Hill" and perhaps in other recordings of that time along with his final competitive efforts in Scotland (The Silver Chanter).

Comment

"Rosewood" can refer to a wide range of woods Rosewood - Wikipedia

Did Henderson use any of those species?

I did hear and try a set of pipes said to be "rosewood Hendersons made during the war, when African Blackwood wasn't available".

They weren't African Blackwood, Ebony, or Cocus, the three woods Henderson listed in their price-lists from the 19th century well into the 20th. I've owned pipes in those woods, those "Hendersons" were different.
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
            "Rosewood" can refer to a wide range of woods Rosewood - Wikipedia

Did Henderson use any of those species?

I did hear and try a set of pipes said to be "rosewood Hendersons made during the war, when African Blackwood wasn't available".

They weren't African Blackwood, Ebony, or Cocus, the three woods Henderson listed in their price-lists from the 19th century well into the 20th. I've owned pipes in those woods, those "Hendersons" were different.
            maybe they are referring to cocobolo? my pm owns a set of 30's-40's era hendersons, which are believed to be made of cocobolo.

Comment

Thank you all for your interesting responses. I wonder if they're still being played....

Comment

Working...
              X