Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe chanter reed seat too big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe chanter reed seat too big

Greetings.
    Any experiences out rhere in repairing a chanter seat too big in diameter? That could be an issue apart for the extra hemp needed for the reed?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 07-16-2021, 09:16 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

I had this problem with a 1990s MacLeod polypenco chanter. The reed seat is a full 1/4" in diameter at the top, considerably larger than those of any of my other chanters. The chanter played well, tuned nicely to around 475 HZ and was comfortable to play, but the reed just wouldn't stay in the seat, no matter how much hemp I used. The slightest little bump or jolt would cause the reed to pop out of the seat. Finally, I borrowed an appropriately sized tool and lightly threaded the reed seat. That solved the problem.
    Ian
    http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

It should be fine with just additional hemp. The only problem with too wide is if it compromises the structural integrity of the chanter (insane reaming) . . . that and it maybe simply being a hassle to hemp up.

[acadianpiper got in before me, good anecdote about threading.]

Andrew
      Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 07-16-2021, 11:10 AM.
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

I was going to say to thread the reed seat as well.

Beyond making the reed more likely to stay in place, it also aids in tuning as you and screw the reed in or out by quarter-turns (or whatever’s needed) to fine tune the balance between As (affecting HA more than LA).
        You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
          I was going to say to thread the reed seat as well.

Beyond making the reed more likely to stay in place, it also aids in tuning as you and screw the reed in or out by quarter-turns (or whatever’s needed) to fine tune the balance between As (affecting HA more than LA).
          Or if you totally forget the reed seat is threaded and you just pull the reed straight out it’s really good at allowing you to redo your reed hemp cause it all just got pulled off by the threads.

But still handy to have!
          My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

It's not the size of the opening at the top that matters, but the taper of the internal cone in which the reed sits (which should be fairly near the bottom of the cone, normally). If the taper is too wide, and it's worth it, the fix is to have a pipemaker drill it out, bore and plug it, and cut a new taper.
            http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
            -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Waxed hemp seems to be ok, I always worried about the sound more than esthetic,. In my bass drone bottom joint the reed seat is huge and works great...
              Thanks for the replies.

Comment

You weren’t using waxed hemp on your chanter reeds before?
                My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
                  You weren’t using waxed hemp on your chanter reeds before?
                  Not always..I usually fit the chanter reed with dry hemp and a little bit of moisture.. I use the waxed hemp in the drone reeds but a little bit..

Comment

Working...
                  X