Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shepherd Mk3 hz range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd Mk3 hz range

Curious what anyone else does. I’ve pitched mine ( poly ca ~2005) usually at 475...Shepherd molded reed..quite nice.
    lately I’ve been trying to push it to 480...but seems to be a no go with F and HG...unsteady/inconsistent.

There is a full color promo flyer put out by Shepherd which indicates the Classic Mk3 range is indeed from a bit below 475 ...up to near 480....whereat the ‘classic 480’ model takes over. ( w/ Shepherd molded or ridgecut reed)

anyone have success reeding the Classic Mk2 at 480 ? What reed(s)?

475-478 sounds about right for an old Mk3 without much carving.
    I have an original Mk3 that sits comfortably up around 478, and a recent Classic Mk3 that is reluctant to go much below 480.
    Shepherds have had a range of chanters over the years that are called Mk3 but are far from identical - original Mk3/Classic Mk3/ Mk3 Symphonic 08/Mk3 480 and probably more. Bottom line is, relevance of that flyer to your chanter = zero, and relevance of reed advice based on other people's Mk3s is questionable.
    If you want to raise the pitch, you’re going to have to carve it (or upgrade your moisture control).
    Cheers
    Scratch

Comment

[QUOTE=Scratcher;n1373037][FONT=Calibri]475-478 sounds about right for an old Mk3: QUOTE]

Yes...478 is what it caps out at;..I’m ok with that.
      I’ve been contemplating buying a current model...until I remember I’m now more in the getting rid of stuff mode.

Comment

Interesting stuff. I have an ABW Shepherd chanter that's about 15 years old...pitches steady at 475....that would make it a Mk 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post
          Interesting stuff. I have an ABW Shepherd chanter that's about 15 years old...pitches steady at 475....that would make it a Mk 3?
          Yes....”Mk3”.... the Mk2 model wound down in the late 1990’s. It had a slightly different foot shape than the Mk3...upon which it hasn’t changed basically thru all it’s iterations.

Comment

Working...
          X