Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Macrae Pipe Chanter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Macrae Pipe Chanter?

I took a virtual tour of the McCallum factory earlier this year and they mentioned working on a Macrae pipe chanter. It now shows up on their website as “coming soon” but I can’t find any information about it. Has anyone heard an update on details or a potential release date?
    Last edited by FlightMedic; 07-23-2021, 08:15 PM.

They do make a Macrea practice chanter. It’s listed in their on-line catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxpert View Post
      They do make a Macrea practice chanter. It’s listed in their on-line catalog.
      That practice chanter looks nice but they specifically mentioned a new pipe chanter and it’s now a link on their website but it just goes to the main Macrae pipes website.

Comment

I had inquired about this pipe chanter some time ago (pre-pandemic I think) and at that time it was still in development. I recall Mr. Liddell played a prototype in a contest or recital I heard and that prompted my question. In the mists of my memory, I recall it was referred to as the Argyll (maybe?). I've not heard more about it, however, except for your question here. Curious, as always, though.
        Last edited by Chris Knife; 07-24-2021, 01:49 AM. Reason: correction of spelling
        Chris Knife

Comment

I too heard Mr. Liddell playing this prototype in a recital. IIRC he mentioned it was easier to achieve some of the alternative fingered notes.
          Happy Piping

Comment

I really hope that this chanter is out soon. I have the practice chanter and it is a joy to play. I also picked up a very battered original McCrea pipe chanter a while back. What is really interesting is how different it is from other chanters of the period. Slender - and very comfortable to play. Very nice sound and true scale too. will

Comment

Working...
            X