Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chanter Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chanter Cap

Just wondering how many of you (if any) leave your Pipe Chanter reed exposed for a few minutes when you're finished playing before capping it, or do you tend to cap it immediately you're finished?

If it's gotten very wet, like running water wet, yes, I'll let it air dry for ten minutes or so. Otherwise it gets capped immediately. If the instrument is more wet than usual, I'll make a point of playing it again later on the same day or first thing the next day for a few minutes just to get it a bit back more towards normal.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

I use a Piper's Pal chanter cap, so I just immediately put it on when I'm done playing. I count on it balancing moisture content.

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post

...If the instrument is more wet than usual, I'll make a point of playing it again later on the same day or first thing the next day for a few minutes just to get it a bit back more towards normal

...I m curious...how does that help do what? Vs swabbing excess moisture, then letting the instrument ‘re-stabilize’ at its own pace in the ambient Rh.

Comment

Probably just superstition on my part, but I feel like my instrument recovers differently from a heavy soaking as opposed to a normal play. Giving it that extra few minutes puts it into a more normal "just played" state. It's not especially scientific, but it does feel like it does something useful.
          http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
          -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Mine goes right back into the Reed Protector cap. Done. It's ready to go next time around. That's been working very well for me a for a good while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
              I use a Piper's Pal chanter cap, so I just immediately put it on when I'm done playing. I count on it balancing moisture content.

Andrew
              What Andrew said, except I use the Tone Protector.

Comment

Working...
              X