Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Treme Bass Reed Question/Issue (Possibly General Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Treme Bass Reed Question/Issue (Possibly General Question)

Hey all,

I have 2 X-Treme Bass reeds, one (newer purchased directly from Chris) with a more matte finish on the body and the second (older, purchased used) with a more shiny finish on the body. The older one is great! The newer one however, has a definite GROWL to it. Threw it in 3 different sets I own, and the pressure is great, cut off comfortable, etc etc. However the tone of the drone is GROWL. Definitely rough. Anyone got any tips?

The matte finish is the hydrophobic material of the premium version. Be careful as the premium ones can bend if too much force is applied when seating the reed. I know from personal experience.

Tongues the same length?

Might try setting the tuning plug all the way in and/or moving the bridle back to lengthen the tongue. Of course shortening the tongue might work too, bass drones are weird and you haven’t told us what you’ve already tried.
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

Honestly I have not tried much at all. I unscrewed the tuning pin about 3-4 full turns to get the drone to tune where I wanted. That is it. I will be careful with that one from now on, thanks for the heads up. I will mess around with it tonight and see if I can get it to calm down.

Comment

Working...
      X