Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canmore hybrid vs Bannatyne WM shape under forearm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canmore hybrid vs Bannatyne WM shape under forearm

Can anyone who is familiar with the shape of both the Bannatyne hybrid with the "Willie McCallum cuttaway" shape and the "new" Canmore hybrid, please comment on whether these two bags are fairly similar with respect to how the bag presses on the forearm? Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on the Willie McC. bag as I've never played one. I have been playing Canmore hybrids for several years, however. Currently, I'm playing an extended medium Canmore hybrid. I have also played the Canmore extended small. I can attest to the fact that the Canmores put no pressure at all on the forearm. The Canmores are very comfortable bags, for me at least. I'm 5'8" and take a 32/33 shirt sleeve length.
    Ian
    http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

I've owned both of these bags in hybrid format. For me the Canmore is much more comfortable in terms of shape, cut, and drone positioning. The bag pressing on the forearm to my mind is more a question of how long your arms are. I am 5'10" with a 34" sleeve (178cm, 86cm respectively) and the WMC bag I believe is meant more for smaller length arms (drones moved forward, no swan neck). They've probably updated them since I owned my last Bannatynes but the Canmores are head and shoulders above in terms of moisture control as well.
      Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post

The bag pressing on the forearm to my mind is more a question of how long your arms are. I am 5'10" with a 34" sleeve (178cm, 86cm respectively) and the WMC bag I believe is meant more for smaller length arms (drones moved forward, no swan neck).
        Your observation mimics mine when I first tried an WMC bag ...I felt I needed shorter arms...so I returned it in favor of a Canmore Hybrid. Problem solved. Bannatyne is a quite adequate bag otherwise...tho I do find the Canmore MCS aspect more to my liking.

Comment

I once played a WMC synth, non-hybrid, when setting up a friend’s pipes and thought it quite comfortable and ergonomic, much more so than the standard Bannatyne. However, Bannatyne *hybrid* require heavy MCS as they hold onto moisture terribly.

I currently have a Canmore hybrid and it has a good feel and controls moisture well enough, no problems without MCS.

So, if you’re stuck on hybrids Canmore is the way to go.
          My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

I'm a bit confused on "the forearm" part. How much of your forearm is on the bag? If my forearm is on the bag, that's because it's slipped down; which is not a good thing.

Comment

Working...
            X