Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.G. Hardie drone extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.G. Hardie drone extenders

Does anyone have experience with the newer, clear 3D printed drone extenders from R.G. Hardie versions? Do they work well? The least expensive I can find these for is $40 after shipping which is kind of insane. But maybe they're that good?

Drone-Extenders-1.jpgDrone-Extenders-5.jpg

Like everyone else the older types from different makers were (are) hit or miss and I'm thinking of going back to Bb for solo work. I don't want Bb specific drone reeds because I go between two different tenors and two different basses (4 brands, some are offered in Bb versions while others are not).

I tried to do a search for this but nothing came up, apologies if this has been asked before.

Happy Piping

I haven't tried these specifically but in general my experience is that reed extenders seem to work better than drone extenders, and I don't have a good explanation why. The main thing is that they must be (physically) very stable in the reed seat and the drone reed in the extender seat, or your drones will never settle. As for these, all I can say is if I needed a set I'd give these a go.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Personally I like the REED extenders made by MGReeds...McCallum.

To set up for Bb...these nifty ~1” length extensions screw right into the pitch screw end (after removal) of your already perfectly set up /air efficient drone reeds.( they each have their own pitch screw)
      Then...just add you Bb chanter.

to revert back....just unscrew the extender and insert the original pitch screw and your non Bb chanter.
      No futzing with drone reed settings all over 1A6D6DFA-5C71-4E1E-8635-C2536FAE0371.jpeg again.

Comment

Naturally I would prefer reed extenders but again, I have several different sets of reeds
        Happy Piping

Comment

IIRC Dunbar used to make drone reed extenders.

Comment

Would the MG Reeds/McCallum extenders fit Ezeedrone and Selbie reeds?
            Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
              Last I tried the 440 MG *reed* extenders, they also fit Ezee. Don’t know about Selbie.

Drone *seat* extenders I’ve used in the past have generally been garbage. Short tenons and short seats made them very wobbly.

$35 seems outrageous for Hardie’s. It can be made cheaper, no doubt.
              Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 08-12-2021, 01:54 PM.
              My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

I’m thinking not the Selbies ...unfortunately. The EZ’s yes...the MG extender and EZ use the same coarse thread. Also MG White Mamba’s..of course.
                The Selbie uses a finer thread iirc. A student has Selbie reeds...I’ll check the fit.

Comment

Can confirm: Henderson/MG/Ezeedrone/Selbie all the same threading

SelbieEzeedroneMGHenderson.jpg
                  Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post

Can confirm: Henderson/MG/Ezeedrone/Selbie all the same threading
                    Thanks Bill.....good to know....I haven’t yet seen my student with the Selbies to check this out. I reckoned the Selbie threads were finer/less beefy.

A good reason to try the MG extenders for Bb set up.

Smartly innovative I think,..and so convenient back and forth between Bb set up and not.
                    Last edited by el gaitero; 08-25-2021, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks, William! I am currently using Ezeedrones and Selbies and sometimes BalanceTone, so I might give those extenders a try.

Comment

Welcome all. Now if only Balance Tone would get rid of the telescopic and aperture bits and become a normal reed with a threaded insert..
                        Happy Piping

Comment

Welcome all. Now if only Balance Tone would get rid of the telescopic and aperture bits and become a normal reed with a threaded insert..
                          Then they’d be like all the others. Some thoughtful innovative bits there I think.,...eg the shut off,the curved tongue,high efficiency...

Comment

The BalanceTone reeds don’t have to be like every other reed. In my view, the innovations are what make them worth having. It’s just as easy to adjust the tuning by lengthening the reed body as by turning a screw in or out.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the newer, clear 3D printed drone extenders from R.G. Hardie versions? Do they work well? The least expensive I can find these for is $40 after shipping which is kind of insane. But maybe they're that good?

Actually $40 is a great deal because 3-D printing is so slow, there must be several hours of work in them. Perhaps the guy printing a set of drones can come up with an accurate quote?

Comment

Working...
                              X