Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moose Valve Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Valve Tool

I've got a bit of a problem - I seem to have mislaid the wee tool that installs and removes the Moose Valve. There's nothing wrong with the valve, but it could probably do with a clean out. Just wondering if I don't manage to locate it, has anyone successfully used any thing else to remove it from the stock? Thank you.

Boy, that makes me wonder where mine is! Maybe they'd sell you just the tool? Not sure about a replacement...

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

I used a needle nose pliers (2 1/2" from the pliers' hinge) to gently turn and remove the moose valve tube from the stock and then replaced and tightened it. The construction of the body of the valve is a circular tube with a metal pin at the top of the tube, at its diameter. The pliers turned the valve at the pin. Unlike Adam, mine is in my pipe bag.
      "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right."

Comment

I mislaid my moose valve tool once, but had a long. Hemostat-type clamp, and used that. It was actually easier to use-longer, so could reach deeper and clamp onto the cross post. That said, I have a spare tool if someone needs one.
        Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 09-12-2021, 07:57 AM. Reason: Found bad autocorrect error and added more info.
        Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

I've never lost a Moose Valve tool and have four or five of them about.

Be aware that there are at least 3 different patterns, which are not interchangeable.

So I have to make sure to have the right tool in the right pipe case! I have the tools marked so that I can tell which tool is for which valve; I just marked them "1" "2" and "3".

I keep the tool with the pipes for the possibility of the valve getting loose or falling out (which has never happened to me).
          Last edited by pancelticpiper; 09-12-2021, 04:00 AM.
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
            I've never lost a Moose Valve tool and have four or five of them about.

Be aware that there are at least 3 different patterns, which are not interchangeable.

So I have to make sure to have the right tool in the right pipe case! I have the tools marked so that I can tell which tool is for which valve; I just marked them "1" "2" and "3".

I keep the tool with the pipes for the possibility of the valve getting loose or falling out (which has never happened to me).
            This is very true. I have two Moose valves, one of which--maybe the older one--is 1/8 of an inch longer than the other. The two tools I have are not interchangeable.
            Ian
            http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

Working...
            X