Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing used hide and skin bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing used hide and skin bags

Germ factor aside, what're your thoughts on picking up a skin or hide bag that's been played for a bit but still has a lot of usable life left?

I've bought and sold several used hybrid bags which have all been just fine. I'm finding that I may need to downsize my pipe bag (which is goatskin) and wondering about a second hand sheepskin or goatskin, I'm not sure if that's a common thing or what the cost/condition expectations are.
    Happy Piping

It can be hit or miss on whether the first user had any clue where to cut the holes.
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

And the risk of a leak, but I'd think almost everyone here at BDF is not about to sell a piece of junk to someone else.

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

I agree with Patrick and Andrew. On Andrew's point regarding leaks, I think that would be especially concerning if the used bag has grommets. As to your question of common or not, I think it's far less common than it used to be with hide bags, for I think synthetics/hybrids have somewhat filled that gap. All that said, I think it may be more common within closer groups, like a band. We've had such trades within our band. The same concerns may exist; but they're somewhat mitigated by us knowing each other and having close examination.

Comment

I sold a used goatskin bag on here about 5 years ago.

In the current climate with COVID and whatnot, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable using a used bag (skin or synthetic), but it could very well be a good way to find a bag that is a better fit for you.
          You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Greetings to All,

Using and preferring the old L&M medium size hide bags--
            and after L&M stopped making hide bags--I acquired as
            many as I could--both un-used--and used--just to have
            a--"just in case" backup--for my three sets of pipes. :-)

And all--were gotten here--on our Lovely Forum. :-)

And--never--any problems--at all.

About any possible microbial contamination with the used
            ones?? I've never considered it even a question--much the
            less--a problem.

A bit of a light rinse with a light disinfectant--and some of
            that Old Standby--Airtight Seasoning--and-- "Bob's Your
            Uncle"--and all is safe and well.

I would suppose--(and others should jump in here)--that
            the same would hold--equally true--with some (if not many)
            of the hybrids.

Trusting that All--may find what they seek.

Regards to All,

Pip01

My friends all know,
            With what a brave carouse...

Comment

I repurposed my old L & M hide bag in to a sporran for old times sake.
              General Order May 2, 1779; by Order of the Commander-in-Chief The Queen's Rangers henceforth shall be known as the "1st American Regiment".

Comment

The old, thick cowhide L & M bags were great in many ways - long lasting, comfortable to play - but had absolutely hopeless moisture control. I remember the days when my cane drone reeds and chanter reed would be sopping wet after a prolonged period of play. The newer L & M cowhide bags, those made after about the year 2000, were vastly inferior to those made earlier. Once the chrome tanning ( or elk tanning, as it was also known) process was banned by the Canadian federal government for environmental reasons, L & M just couldn't seem to find an equivalent substitute for it. The last L & M hide bag I bought (for a set of band loaner pipes) about 10 years ago, was made of much thinner hide and had a much less substantial seam than the old ones and was almost as floppy as a synthetic bag, L & M stopped making bags shortly after, I never tried their Nova bags.
                Ian
                http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

I couldn't even think of playing a used bag. That's one of the first things I tell anybody looking at used pipes...change the bag!
                  I wouldn't wear someone's used underwear either

Comment

Originally posted by BillW View Post
                    I couldn't even think of playing a used bag. That's one of the first things I tell anybody looking at used pipes...change the bag!
                    I wouldn't wear someone's used underwear either
                    Well in theory, the drool goes in one way and out another way; however, theory is theory so I'm with you Bill. I would use a bag used on a bellows blown pipe on another bellows blown pipe and might consider using a used mint condition synthetic GHB bag with a zipper so I could thoroughly soak and wash it before using.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X