Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gannaway zipper repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gannaway zipper repair?

Hello, forum folks. I've been away several years, but have begun piping regularly again. The zipper on my Gannaway bag lost a long section of rubber seal along the zipper teeth, and will no longer close. I don't see an easy fix for it. It is a wonderful bag, but now 15 years old (my first tie-in bag, which was quite an experience). Has anybody encountered a similar problem, and found a solution? I'm not averse to getting a new bag - probably with grommets this time. :-) Also, can anybody describe the difference in playing a medium vs an extended medium Gannaway? This one is a regular medium, and fits me well, but if an extended bag would feel the same under the arm, but hold more volume behind the elbow, that might be worth a try.

Thank you!

EDIT, post-post:
    1. I found this information about the extended bag version: "The feature of the medium extended bag is the drone and blowpipe holes are moved closer to the chanter for increased comfort." That sounds comfortable, so maybe I'll try it.

2. Upon closer inspection and trial, it appears the Gannaway zipper is degraded beyond any repair that would leave the bag intact. According to Gannaway, 15 years for their hide bag is a very good run, so it seems best to bit the bullet and replace it. It has been a marvelous bag. But I'm going with grommets this time, even though I like the free play of the drone stocks in my tie-in version.

3. A new bag is also called for on my street set of pipes. I'm not averse to buying a Gannaway for it, also, but would welcome any recommendations for a good bag that is less expensive. I don't like artificial bags, but perhaps one of the new hybrid bags - Canmore or Bannatyne - which weren't on the market when I last shopped for bags.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Eddie Selden; 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM. Reason: found extended info
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Originally posted by galbayman View Post

3. A new bag is also called for on my street set of pipes. I'm not averse to buying a Gannaway for it, also, but would welcome any recommendations for a good bag that is less expensive. I don't like artificial bags, but perhaps one of the new hybrid bags - Canmore or Bannatyne - which weren't on the market when I last shopped for bags.

Thanks again!

You’ll hear lots of high marks for the Canmore Hybrid here...and they’re all correct

i use mine ( large) with a simple vinyl tube trap and Trap-Dri.

The closest to a real leather feel.

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post

You’ll hear lots of high marks for the Canmore Hybrid here...and they’re all correct

i use mine ( large) with a simple vinyl tube trap and Trap-Dri.

The closest to a real leather feel.

Hola, El Gaitero. Thank you! After reading many similar recommendations on the forum - including a few from you, as you always seem to know what you're talking about - I ordered a Canmore hybrid last night for the street pipes (actually a plain but sweet set of Maclellans). This seemed like a sensible first move: I can learn how a different bag type feels and plays without spending a small fortune. That will help me make a more informed decision on a new bag for the old solo pipes. Also, I haven't played a grommeted bag for many years, so I can find out if I can be happy with the more rigid drone placement. If not, I know that another Gannaway or perhaps one of the L&S bags - they look worthwhile, but are pricey (except the cowhide, which is priced less than the Gannaway, which is also cowhide) - will suit well for the old Hendersons.

I used a simple tube trap in the Gannaway, which (in addition to occasional seasoning) was always more than sufficient even for long sessions with a cane bass. I'm not familiar with the Trap-Dri. Is it a recent (last few years) product?
      Eddie
      "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

[QUOTE=galbayman;n1374895]

I'm not familiar with the Trap-Dri. Is it a recent (last few years) product?[
        /QUOTE]

The trap dri has been around for ~8 or so years. If you google it I’m sure you will see it. Try Pipers Hut Ohio...they run about $35 iirc. It noticeably increased the pour off experience of the vinyl tube trap.

I am 6’...185# ..shirtsleeve 34”....I play a large Canmore Hybrid. The diff between the Large and Medium is only 3/4” in height....so I opted for size Large following the old dictum ‘ play the largest bag you can’.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post
          EDIT, post-post:
          1. I found this information about the extended bag version: "The feature of the medium extended bag is the drone and blowpipe holes are moved closer to the chanter for increased comfort." That sounds comfortable, so maybe I'll try it.
          I saw that same "information" several years ago. I was interested, so I contacted Gannaway to inquire about it. The reply I received stated unequivocally that the the position of the drone and blowpipe holes is identical in both the medium and the extended medium bags. The only difference between the two is the extra length behind the drones on the extended version. This is true also of the small and extended small bags. I have played both a Gannaway medium and a Gannaway extended medium . There was certainly no difference in the distance from the drones to the chanter and both felt exactly the same under my arm.

Ian
          http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

Originally posted by acadianpiper View Post

I saw that same "information" several years ago. I was interested, so I contacted Gannaway to inquire about it. The reply I received stated unequivocally that the the position of the drone and blowpipe holes is identical in both the medium and the extended medium bags. The only difference between the two is the extra length behind the drones on the extended version. This is true also of the small and extended small bags. I have played both a Gannaway medium and a Gannaway extended medium . There was certainly no difference in the distance from the drones to the chanter and both felt exactly the same under my arm.

Hello, Acadianpiper. The Canmore arrived yesterday. It was remarkably easy to install (my last two bags were old-fashioned tie-ins) and pleasantly comfortable; the grommets are more comfortable than I expected; it has been a long time since I've had a bag with them, and I was worried I wouldn't like them. To confirm your note, I can't detect any unusual position of the drones or blowpipe stocks, but the bag seems a bit longer than most. I've only had a short time playing it, but it feels quite comfortable enough - not as much so as my Gannaway tie-ins, but for the money and ease of use, it's quite nice so far. Also, after two 25-minute sessions yesterday, a few hours apart - and without any moisture control (I added that today), it was drier than I expected; very moist beneath the blowpipe stock, but little moisture elsewhere in the bag.

Thanks!
            Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post
              The Gannaway zipper is degraded beyond any repair...

According to Gannaway, 15 years for their hide bag is a very good run...

I'm going with grommets this time, even though I like the free play of the drone stocks in my tie-in version.
              Quite a few years ago I played in a band that decided to go with Gannaway.

We got the zip & grommets version.

In less than a year my zipper simply fell off. I can understand the stress caused by constantly tugging on the zip to open and close it, but I had no MCS and I never used the zip.

Also in less than a year another piper had one of the grommets just fall off.

That experience completely soured me on having zip & grommets. I've been playing a plain no-zip no-grommet Gannaway for quite a few years and it's been completely trouble-free.

So that would be my advice for both of your sets.

Years ago I briefly had a Bannatyne hybrid bag (I think it was fused Gore-Tex and leather) and it retained too much moisture. At least in our climate here MCS is completely unnecessary unless you have a bag that retains an unusually high amount of moisture.
              Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-03-2021, 05:07 AM.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I haven't heard of any zipper failing except for these Gannaways, it's wild to me. I can't figure out if Gannaway aren't stitching well enough or what?

Not that zippers may not be failing on other makes, I just haven't personally heard or experienced this in any of my bags Bannatyne, L&S, Gannaway, Canmore.

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

In less than a year my zipper simply fell off. I can understand the stress caused by constantly tugging on the zip to open and close it, but I had no MCS and I never used the zip.
                Maybe it is the tugging or jerking? And specifically how Gannaway have it stitched/glued?

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
                Also in less than a year another piper had one of the grommets just fall off.

That experience completely soured me on having zip & grommets. I've been playing a plain no-zip no-grommet Gannaway for quite a few years and it's been completely trouble-free.

So that would be my advice for both of your sets.

Years ago I briefly had a Bannatyne hybrid bag (I think it was fused Gore-Tex and leather) and it retained too much moisture. At least in our climate here MCS is completely unnecessary unless you have a bag that retains an unusually high amount of moisture.
                100% there with you. Grommets fail all the time (even in the most expensive sheep bags that have them from what I've read). The Bannatyne hybrid bags I owned were like saunas inside, until they change their structure I can't steer people away from them fast enough unfortunately. Canmore hybrids I have owned are amazingly dry, night and day difference in cut and moisture control.
                Happy Piping

Comment

I’m not sure about current Gannaways, but the older ones just had the zippers glued in. Mine came off during a parade a few years ago, but it was a 9yo bag at the time, so I wasn’t too upset.

Now I use a regular sheepskin bag, but would probably keep a sealed Gannaway on a spare set if I had one.
                  You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Thanks to everybody you for your helpful comments. I have learned much from you, as always. To be fair to Gannaway, the bag whose zipper failed was purchased and attached in late fall of 2008. Though I didn't play it extensively, and used the zipper sparingly, it held up much longer than I would have expected - especially since I did not season it as often as I should have.
                    Eddie

Comment

Gannaway are great bags. Sounds like the zipper issue was from past versions years ago and has more than likely been addressed.

Everyone's expectations of how long a cowhide (and maybe synthetic as well) bag should last are different but I feel that if I get 4, or even 5, years out of a bag then that's doing well. Beyond that is bonus time in my eyes. Sheepskin is maybe 1/2 that from my experiences talking with folks. YMMV.
                      Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post

Everyone's expectations of how long a cowhide (and maybe synthetic as well) bag should last are different but I feel that if I get 4, or even 5, years out of a bag then that's doing well. Beyond that is bonus time in my eyes. Sheepskin is maybe 1/2 that from my experiences talking with folks. YMMV.
                        I got about a year out of a synthetic and am on 5+ years of a sheepskin. There’s no telling how long a bag will last.
                        You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Working...
                        X