Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reed for 1970 RG Hardie chanter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed for 1970 RG Hardie chanter

Looking for a reed that will work in a 1970 Hardie pipe chanter

Re: "...that will work...". What are you looking for in working? For instance, are you looking to resemble the pitches from that period? Or getting something to work with today's levels?

Comment

You could always send your chanter to somebody like Chris Apps and have them make you one specifically for your chanter model and blowing pressure. Food for thought

Comment

Herb,

At the risk of seeming facetious--which is not my intent
        at all--may I suggest--getting some good cane chanter
        reeds--and mucking about with them--until you have
        arrived--at--and with--the sound--and comfort--that
        you wish??

Just a thought...
        My friends all know,
        With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Sounds fun. I think it was a Shepherd I eventually got going in a similar chanter of mine. You may find the chanter throat has closed up a bit, throwing top hand out. Might need some gentle rehumidifying too. Good luck!

Comment

I'm wondering if a B-flat chanter reed might work in an older lower pitched chanter? Anyone tried this? I have a 1982 Kintail ABW chanter that I played until about 2005, really loved that chanter but had problems getting it properly set up as reeds kept going up in pitch. That chanter had a preferred pitch of about 472 Hz. I'm tempted to try a B-flat reed in it, might do the trick.

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

Certainly worth a try. Modern reeds have perhaps a larger internal diameter staple, which might throw the top hand out of balance. You might try rushing the reed with a paperclip or similar.
              http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
              -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

I have a 1970’s era Hardie chanter. I use RG Shepherd Bb reeds at about 466-472 Hz in that chanter.
                Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

I play a late 1970's early 80's Hardie with a Chesney Warnock solo reed and some creative taping on the top hand. Still a viable chanter after 40+ years. Currently playing at 476 - 478 Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by tanks hobyman View Post
                    I play a late 1970's early 80's Hardie with a Chesney Warnock solo reed and some creative taping on the top hand. Still a viable chanter after 40+ years. Currently playing at 476 - 478 Hz.
                    Interesting that you've been able to raise the pitch by that much. When I started my bagpipe journey in 1982, Hardie and Lawrie chanters were pitching at about 470 Hz, and Kintail, Naill, and Sinclair chanters at about 472 Hz. I remember attending piping workshops where the instructors had a very difficult time trying to get all the students' chanters to tune together for massed band playing.

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Herb View Post
                      Looking for a reed that will work in a 1970 Hardie pipe chanter
                      Scroll to bottom of page.
                      https://sites.google.com/site/shasta...ety/home/Pipes

Comment

I believe that the Hardie I am playing was an attempt by Bob Hardie to maintain the lovely projection of his chanters on the bottom hand while trying to bring the top hand back into the octave. The chanter also plays well at 480 Hz. My only skill here was to fork over the $$$$ for a gazillion reeds until I found the one I liked. I also believe that pipe makers began to lift the pitch of their instruments around the early 80's and Hardie was no exception. I also play other excellent, well-known modern-day chanters but none with the gift of one of Bob's well-made beauties.

Comment

[QUOTE=tanks hobyman]

but none with the gift of one of Bob's well-made beauties.

[QUOTE]

I am graced--with having an early 50s--Hardie chanter.

And the above quote??

No truer words--were ever spoken...
                          My friends all know,

Comment

My piping instructor played an early 50's Hardie. He was also a reed maker and so fashioned his own chanter reeds for his Hardie. His straight-cut reeds were smaller in dimension (overal length, staple length, blade width) than the Chesney Warnock solo reed I play. Might I ask what reed you grace your Hardie with?

Comment

Originally posted by tanks hobyman

. Might I ask what reed you grace your Hardie with?

Greetings!!--tanks hobyman--and to All,

Living in this Old Stone Cave--as I do :-) --my chanter reed
                              situation--is of two-fold--and is both--from The Past--as well
                              as--The Present... :-)

For The Present--I have access to a fine fellow--who makes
                              quite excellent--synthie chanter reeds--and--in general--I use
                              them--and exclusively-- for all--of my--everyday playing.
                              (And inclusive--of my practice chanters.)

The exceptions--are when--cane--is the--appropriate choice.

And--when it's cane--then as with many--who have been in The
                              Piping Game--and for a long while--I return--to my collection--of
                              cane chanter reeds--(and there's a bucket full :-) --and I then
                              rummage about--selecting a few "possibles"--and then--muck
                              about with those--until my ear--and my fingers--have discovered--
                              and have landed upon--"The Right One"--along with two or three
                              others--running as Close Seconds--that are carried along to the
                              playing--for and as--"backup."

As for "makes and models"--in this "bucket full"--and even their
                              age--well--"GOK"--("God Only Knows" :-) --and while I shall quite
                              readily grant--that this is far--from any "Scientific Method"--I have
                              found--that the ear--at least for me--is oft time--a better resource--
                              and judge--than the numbers--on any given gauge...

Trusting that this gives full answer to your question--and that it may
                              also be--of some assistance...

With Regards to You--and to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-15-2021, 08:40 AM.
                              My friends all know,

Comment

Working...
                              X