Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reed for 1970 RG Hardie chanter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"As for "makes and models"--in this "bucket full"--and even their
    age--well--"GOK"--("God Only Knows" :-) --and while I shall quite
    readily grant--that this is far--from any "Scientific Method"--I have
    found--that the ear--at least for me--is oft time--a better resource--
    and judge--than the numbers--on any given gauge."

Thank you for responding Pip01. Agreed, regardless of the maker or numbers on a gauge, the ear is what best determines the suitability of any reed.

Comment

Originally posted by tanks hobyman View Post
      ...some creative taping on the top hand...
      In the 1980s I worked in a shop which carried Hardie pipes.

With the reeds that came with them, the chanter played a true scale including a lovely High G.

With any of the other makes of reeds we carried the High G was a mile sharp.

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Yo might try a Gilmour reed; they are moulded. I play these in a 1980s Dunbar Eller chanter pitching at 470 to 474.

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

In the 1980s I worked in a shop which carried Hardie pipes.

With the reeds that came with them, the chanter played a true scale including a lovely High G.

With any of the other makes of reeds we carried the High G was a mile sharp.
          There were not many good reed makers back then forcing individuals like my instructor to start making their own. Maybe this is why we have so many really good reeds available today.

Comment

There were not many good reed makers back then forcing individuals like my instructor to start making their own. Maybe this is why we have so many really good reeds available today.
            I’m thinking there were “many” ‘good’ reed makers...( how hard could it be?..) ..but not so many consistently good chanter makers. Hence the terminology “matched chanters”. Almost every one off the lathe was good ..but somewhy different..hence a ‘master’ had to sit with a batch and make them all very closely ‘match’..shorten a throat ~1mm,...undercut notes,..when ordered by top level winning PM’s/Bands du jour.

Comment

Oddly, we had a couple good reed makers here at that time.

In any case the reeds Hardie sent with their pipes had a flatter High G than other makes gave.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

That's interesting, excessive tape on high G has been a curse for years for me, solo and band....I'd love to find a maker who sells reeds with a flat high G...

Comment

When I played a Dunbar chanter with the band in the '80s, and the Dunbar Eller I mentioned above, the high A and G were consistently sharp and heavily taped down no matter what reed was played. That was true with the Warnock band chanters we used in the '90s. as well. With the Gilmour reeds I play in the Dunbar Eller now, little or no (with the current reed) tape is necessary. The band in those old days used ridge cut reeds all the time, the only alternative being MacAlisters or Schlagels which were too hard for us, a street band. Gilmours are moulded. Maybe that's the difference, or more likely, today's reeds are just better all round.

My present band plays Gandy MacCallum chanters, and G1 reeds. All the chanters are taped, but this perhaps has more to do with the sound the PM wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post
                    That's interesting, excessive tape on high G has been a curse for years for me, solo and band....I'd love to find a maker who sells reeds with a flat high G...
                    One option is to GENTLY scrape the reed just below the lips to bring the High G down. I have altered a couple of old chanters received in trade by reducing the diameter of the high G hole, and a couple by filling and re-drilling slightly lower.

Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Working...
                    X