Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selbie hemping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selbie hemping

Hello to you all. On recommendation, I bought a pair of Selbie drone reeds for an old set of Hendersons. I plan to use only the tenors (cane bass will stay), as backup for an old set of Rockets that aren't quite what they used to be when I acquired them in 2008. Question for those who use of have used Selbies: do you remove the reed seat's rubber liner before hemping, or do you simply hemp over the rubber liner?

Thank you!
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

G'day, Eddie. I think it depends upon the drone seat in your pipes. If large, then you can hemp over the liner. But I've seen some pipes with small enough reed seats that make removing the rubber mandatory. I also have threaded the reed seats in my pipes, and in others who prefer to have some threading (just two or three threads...nothing radical).

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer

G'day, Eddie. I think it depends upon the drone seat in your pipes. If large, then you can hemp over the liner. But I've seen some pipes with small enough reed seats that make removing the rubber mandatory. I also have threaded the reed seats in my pipes, and in others who prefer to have some threading (just two or three threads...nothing radical).
      Eddie,
      What he said. :-)
      And--Good Luck with it!! :-)
      My friends all know,
      With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
        Thank you, EquusRacer, and Pip01. That is sensible. The pipe drone reed seats are large enough to keep the liner on, but I didn't know how effectively waxed hemp holds against the rubber. I'll give it a try.
        Cheers!
        Eddie
        "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post

Thank you, EquusRacer, and Pip01. That is sensible. The pipe drone reed seats are large enough to keep the liner on, but I didn't know how effectively waxed hemp holds against the rubber. I'll give it a try.
          Cheers!
          Using ‘black’ wax ( the tacky stuff) will ensure a grip on the rubber...and help hold the drone reed securely in the seat. On acetyl pipes I’ve used very fine 000 sand paper to break the shine in the reed seat to help get a grip. Same works on old abw pipes reed seats polished by decades of fitting the reeds in.

Comment

Working...
          X