Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got some Canning Drone Reeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got some Canning Drone Reeds

I got some Canning original drone reeds in trade for some chanter reeds I had made for a friend. They set up pretty quickly. I started by swapping the outside tenor in and matching it to my usual (20+ year old Wygents) and repeating the process until they were all switched out, then checked to shut off at the same pressure. Once each bridle was set to match, I had to lower the set screws all the way with the allen wrench as they seem to be designed for a little higher pitch than I was used to with Wygent. In playing, they're incredibly air efficient and a much more mellow than my old ones. They also seem to handle unsteady blowing very well. I may have to mess around with the bass a little more as it currently tends to squeal if I do a sloppy strike-in, but all in all a fine set of drone reeds. I love my old Wygent reeds, but these may soon take the top spot for me.
    Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

A second thought after a couple days of playing the Canning reeds. They are a bit too absorbent, even with an MCS, and end up being less stable for tuning after a very brief period. While the sound is very good, I still find my Wygent reeds more "present" or rich in tone. I wonder if there's something I could coat the reed bodies with to make them absorb less moisture?
    Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Hi TF. I found Canning tenors easy to use and air efficient. I didn't quite get the sound I wanted and went back to Ezees. Personal taste, and what suits your pipes I guess. Probably best to get someone else to listen to your sound, what you hear under the ear may be a bit different.

Comment

I've been playing Canning reeds in my Dunbar pipes for about 5 years now. Love them. Great warm tone and no fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by TwitchyFingers View Post

they are a bit too absorbent, even with an MCS,
          I thot so too. So I covered the tongues with tape and sprayed the body with PTF spray ...made the exterior less absorbent...which reduced the swelling from moisture causing shut off by the bridles becoming too tight with the body expansion. Very nice sounding reeds imho.

Comment

Working...
          X