Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these Sinclairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these Sinclairs?

These interesting pipes are up on Ebay for very little money.

They come with a Sinclair chanter, and they have the one-piece flat drone tops with no scribe lines and no beads.

Yet the projecting mounts and ferrules have a Kintail-ish look to me.

Did Sinclair make pipes like this?

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

I'm no expert, but it doesn't really look like the Sinclairs I used to have, but it does look like my friend's Kintails. Same chunky engraving...

Comment

They appear to have the classic Sinclair ‘8 peaks/9 valleys’ combing ...and the scribe lines of the caps appear to produce the Sinclair pronounced D profile. ..but I’ve not known Sinclair used that ‘mottled look’ imitation ivory.
      Checking that the cord grooves are radius cut at the interior [ not squared] would be another classic Sinclair feature.

Comment

Two beads on the tenor tuning chambers = Sinclair.

Comment

Thanks all! So these have several Sinclair features.

I had only seen Kintail use these somewhat cheap-looking nickel ferrules, which might be made by D&N but not hallmarked of course. I think the pattern is pressed with a roller; the D&N hand-chased nickel ferrules always are beaded, from what I've seen.

Would Sinclairs always be stamped? But they couldn't be stamped in radius-cut cord guides, could they? The seller says there are no stamps on the drones.
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

El Gaitero "I’ve not known Sinclair used that ‘mottled look’ imitation ivory." I've got a Sinclair practice chanter from early 1980s the sole of which is made of similar looking mottled imitation ivory.

Neil

Comment

Hardie was using that marble-looking stuff in the mid-1980s, I wouldn't be surprised if other makers didn't experiment with it.

I looked at a circa 2000 Sinclair set on The Bagpipe Place Museum at it seems a near-perfect match, down to the rolled-nickel thistle possibly D&N mounts.

Comment

A slight tangent here, but relating to the D&N mounts. Did D&N make rolled ferrules/mounts that they did not put their name on? Did they do both rolled and hand-chased with their name? Silver, of course, would have the hallmarks; but did that necessarily mean they were not rolled? Did the era make a difference? Thanks.

Comment

These pipes are Sinclair made by Alastair these mounts are his style, mount style can vary depending on the turner.

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
                    A slight tangent here, but relating to the D&N mounts. Did D&N make rolled ferrules/mounts that they did not put their name on? Did they do both rolled and hand-chased with their name? Silver, of course, would have the hallmarks; but did that necessarily mean they were not rolled? Did the era make a difference? Thanks.
                    From what I've seen it appears that D&N made identical-looking hand-chased bagpipe mounts in Sterling Silver and in solid German Silver/Nickel Silver/Cupro-Nickel.

The Sterling Silver mounts carried full hallmarks, the German Silver mounts were unmarked. Makes sense, because you wouldn't use your Silver Maker's Mark on things that weren't Silver.

What I don't know anything about are the mounts that Kintail used to offer which appeared to be made by a roller, in other words they were neither chased nor engraved. I assume they're done by a roller because that's what R G Lawrie used to do, have German Silver mounts with rolled thistle design, the difference being that the Lawrie mounts were beaded.

These Sinclairs appear to have mounts identical to the typical Kintail mounts, rolled thistle design and not beaded. What I don't know is whether D&N does these, or somebody else.

Here are 1981 Kintails with what appear to be D&N mounts, they're not stamped. I believe them to be solid German Silver. I don't know if these were hand-chased or done with a roller. (Both hand-chasing and impressing the design with a roller are stamping the design into the metal, as opposed to engraving in which metal is removed.)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 09-25-2022, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X