Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best poly bagpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He responded to my comment @ FB on the photo I attached. Thanks much!

Comment

Originally posted by ToddS View Post
      Any insight on Ayshire poly bagpipes?
      I have a set of "frankenppipes" that I built up over a few months, starting with Ayrshire stocks in a spare bag as backup g for my 1979 G&M set. Later I added a d full set of ABC drones and blowpipes, and a Gibson B flat chanter. I am very happy with the quality and sound of the Ayrshire drones and stocks.
      Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Back on the original question finding individuals who have experience with multiple brands of poly pipes might be a bit of a lift. I have the McCallum acetyl highland pipes and had a set of MacLellan poly small pipes and can speak to some of my experience with them.

In both cases the poly pipes have not taken the number 1 spot in the rotation. I still prefer wood drones. But when I had a winter mix in the forecast for the funeral or a scorching hot parade the poly pipes were perfect. The biggest pro was not having fear of ruining a instrument in bad conditions or the fear of damage playing in a crowd where the drones would be bumped and jostled.

With the GHB McCallum’s I have had to add a few more wraps of hemp than I usually do with the blackwood pipes. The wax hemp is really slick in the stocks and it took a bit more care to get everything holding. But it wasn’t a big deal.

The MacLellans studio pipes had o-rings in place of hemp. It was really nice. I believe Dunbar at one point did this with GHBs. The o-rings overcame the issue I saw with how slick the stocks were with the McCallums by getting the resistance perfect for the drone tops vs the stocks. But this was due to the design not the use of the o-rings.

The other thing I noticed with the GHB McCallum’s was they got hot in the summer parades. When I touched the drones to retune I noted they were warmer to the touch than the wood drones. Given the nature of the material it wasn’t a surprise, but if you have them I would suggest making sure you get them to temperature before turning to have them be stable.

Both instruments were easy enough to set up and get a nice sound. But that seems to have more to do with the reeds and a decent bore than anything.

I would recommend them to people who play in less than ideal conditions. They also would be great as a starter instrument for cases where I would worry about the nice wood instrument surviving.

Comment

Working...
        X