Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Lubricating drone joints....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T.Ackland
    Forum Regular
    • Sep 2018

Another product worth considering is a thick silicone grease used on O-rings by scuba divers.

Comment

• Eddie Selden
      Forum Clasp
      • Jan 2006

I've started using hemp seal, which I believe is virtually the same as the toilet bowl wax that Captain Twining mentions. (I've got a similar thread in this forum.) It works well, and is available from piping supply stores (mine came from Henderson).
      Eddie
      "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

• Pip01
        Holy smoking keyboard!
        • Apr 2005

Greetings to All,

As I have made mention... of three related items (in this Thread) in some
        previous posts...

1. Those truly Grand Old Fellows... in my first Old Band... when they first
        discovered teflon tape... for their pipes... thought it the best thing... since
        sliced bread!! :-) And they used it... For Ever After.. as have I.

2. But... that Old Rascal... Time... still continuing... to effect changes... in
        the circumferences... of tuning chambers... and tuning pins... (and now
        especially... in now Vintage Pipes)... still... there are... occasional
        "hard
        spots"... when adjusting the heights of the drones. ('Twas ever thus. :-)

3. When these "hard spots" begin to occur... I have found that our very
        own... Ron (Ringo) Bowen's... The BagpipePlace.com... has developed
        and made available... an exceptionally excellent... drone tenon lubricant...
        (for my lack of a better term :-) ... that never fails... and is quite remarkably
        in-expensive... and that has saved me... Beaucoup... of that Old Rascal...
        Time...
        :-)

I recommend it... and without... reservation...

May everyone find... what best suits... them selves... and their pipes.

Regards to All,

Pip01

My friends all know,
        With what a brave carouse...

Comment

• mcaskill
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2011

I have been using the Maker's Choice Joint Lube that Brett Tidswell now makes. It is a waxy, but well lubricated product that isn't slippery enough that the drones move unless being tuned, but seems to last quite a while. Only a thin smear required so a little goes a very long way. They say, :all natural products that are good for the wood and doesn't affect the wax on the hemp". I have found it to be a great product.

Comment

• Klondike Waldo
            Holy smoking keyboard!
            • Jun 2002

I use Burt’s Bees lip balm for myself and inexpensive dollar store lip balm for my hemp( well, actually polyester) joints, I keep a tube or two in each bagpipe case. Burt’s is made with beeswax, as you’d expect.
            Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Working...
            X