Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Opinions?

I'm going to buy a new set of pipes in the next couple of months and I'd like to get some opinions. I want a set with solid craftsmanship and a rich, full drone sound to complement a hopefully bright and robust solo chanter. (But maybe that's what everyone wants...)

I'm leaning towards one of the following: Naill, Strathmore, Doug MacPherson. or Peter Henderson.

All of which I think I could find new or used under my $1300 price range. I've previously played Naill's and McCallum's, and (after taking 8 years off of bagpiping) I currently have a loaner set of Hardie's. Of those, I most liked the sound I got from the Naill's.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Sound Opinions?

Don't forget about Kintails. I bought a great sounding set of their David Glen pipes earlier this year.

Comment

You should give Inverans a good look. P/M Brian Donaldson just moved to the USA and he makes some very superior pipes. He's a craftsman in the highest degree! http://www.inveran.com

Comment

Originally posted by piper og View Post
        You should give Inverans a good look. P/M Brian Donaldson just moved to the USA and he makes some very superior pipes. He's a craftsman in the highest degree! http://www.inveran.com
        Last I heard Brian was having machinery "issues"....
        I'm not looking for any Inverans hitting the market in the immediate future....

Originally posted by Joel Bristol View Post
        . Of those, I most liked the sound I got from the Naill's.
        I suspect you have answered your own question Joel
        It's not knowing the answers that is important.....It's knowing where to find the answers......

Comment

But you haven't tried MacPhersons? I wouldnt make that decision without trying them thats for sure! I think they are exactly what you are looking for in tone from those choices

Comment

Originally posted by piper og View Post

Interesting - -- didnt know that. He makes excellent chanters, both in tone and playability.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'll give Kintail and Inveran a look as well. Naill definitely has a solid reputation and a consistently good sound... I was curious about Strathmore because I read in another thread that they're similar to Naill's sound but with a louder bass drone. And I saw a youtube video of MacPherson's that were nothing short of bad-ass! The search continues...

Cheers.

Comment

Try to hear a set of Strathmore's before making your final decision. First set I ever heard was played was by a fellow student standing next to me (MSA school 2 years ago) ago and I loved the warm rich drone characteristics. The bass drone does take top honor in a very delightful way

I've played and heard Naill pipes and definately prefer the Strathmore's.

Jenni
                Don't take life seriously! You'll never get out of it alive!

Comment

Don't overlook some of the smaller pipemakers out there too, that produce great sounding pipes with looks to match. Murray Huggins of Colin Kyo Bagpipes in Oregon and Tim Gellaitry of Stirling, Scotland. Both have excellent websites and both are very accessible and responsive. First rate customer service as well.

And you mentioned that you enjoyed your Naills. That would also be a good way to go and pre-owned DN0, DN1, DN2 and some DN3s would definitely be in your price range

I think the bottom line is that all the makers you've mentioned will produce an excellent tone dependent on your set-up and ability to blow good tone.

Ron
                  " The wise musicians are those who play what they can master ".....Duke Ellington

Comment

I'm currently enjoying my MacLellan drones for the very sound you're looking for: full, robust, bold. A bit on the loud side with a very big bass drone sound.

Maybe a bit more expensive than what you're looking for, but I'm enjoying mine. I also love the exterior profiling and find them more attractive than the cookie-cutter shape that all other pipes are made to resemble.

Comment

Gellaitry all the way. I LOVE mine. A small pipe maker. Amazing sound. And very few play them, cause there are not that many made.
                      "Obsessed" is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Comment

Dont forget to check out Doug Macphersons pipes, great sound and quality, great workmanship and a beaut guy as well as I stayed with him in Scotland in 2005.

Find someone who has a set listen to them and check out the quality and they will be cheaper than others as no over heads.

Nick

PS I have a set as well as hardies and Gibsons and 2 SSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Financier View Post
                          very few play them, cause there are not that many made.
                          Or maybe there are not that many made because very few play them?

Just kidding- being a smarta**. I've heard nothing but great things about his pipes and they look beautiful.
                          Patrick

Comment

Working...
                          X