Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences in brand of acetly/polypenco pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in brand of acetly/polypenco pipes

I own a set of McCallum acetyl pipes, but was wondering how the other makes sound in comparison ie:sound, playability, etc?

Other mentionable makers of plastic bagpipes: Gibson, Dunbar, Naill, etc. Anybody have experience with these brands?
    Last edited by PGH; 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM.

Re: Differences in brand of acetly/polypenco pipes

I've only been at this for two months but have had my three year old Dunbar P2Cs for a month and absolutely love the build, workmanship, and tone and colour, as much as I can discern these variables at this point.

Those who know Dunbar know their products are almost over built -- even their reed protectors are tanks compared to McCallums (I have both), and the same goes for their practice chanters and pipes. Some may not like this but I do.

Re tone, I am using Crozier carbons, old and requiring cleaning and more advanced adjustment, but the tone is bold, but refined. I have new Kinnairds which will be going in soon. I am a Henderson tone appreciator.

Re tone of chanter, well that is the one aspect that is external to your pipes, as much as I know at this point. But my Dunbar Elite II and Shepherd Mark III sound good with a Gilmour.

As a point of comparison, I have blown the drones of my instructor's top end ABW full silver Naills, Gibson 110s, and her 1949 Robertsons. Those are all incredible stands, but I love my poly Dunbars just the same -- no worries about smacking door frames, light fixtures, weather, or general newbie dufousness, plus they sound and feel great.

Is this what you are looking for?
    Last edited by moderator team; 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM.
    David Locky
    Aim for the moon, you might hit an eagle ... Bagpipe Ecology

Comment

Originally posted by PGH View Post
      I own a set of McCallum acetyl pipes, but was wondering how the other makes sound in comparison ie:sound, playability, etc?

Other mentionable makers of plastic bagpipes: Gibson, Dunbar, Naill, etc. Anybody have experience with these brands?
      I have one teen student who played ca. 2009 McC acetyl pipes ( recently upgraded to McC ABW AB4's) ... her acetal's sounded quite OK (with Selbie reeds);
      ...she is a more accomplished player and competitive winner than another [20 yrs older] student who plays ca. 2009 acetyl Dunbar pipes (Kinnard reeds).

The Dunbar's have it for a BIG pipes sound IMHO,.. with either reed sets.

Comparing those two particular pipe stands anyway.
      Last edited by el gaitero; 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Helped a mate of mine find and purchase a set
        of Dunbar Delrins.

He luvs 'em! I luv 'em! They look grand and sound
        wonderful!!

Everyone for whom he plays luvs 'em, too! ... and
        what he can do with them...

Being "an officer of the court".... he is out... in all
        weathers... which is why he was first attracted to...
        and not put off by... "poly pipes."

And his... isn't a good set... they're a grand set!!

Would recommend such to anyone... hands down!

You'll not go wrong with the like...

My friends all know,
        With what a brave carouse...

Comment

IME, the bore plays a bigger role in the instrument's sound than the material. If they're well-set, a Dunbar bagpipe will sound like a Dunbar bagpipe (and a McCallum like a McCallum and so forth), whether they're blackwood or delrin. Just my $.02.

Comment

Every single one of those makers have on thing in common.
            They sound at their best when you practice lots.
            An Píob Mhór Ghaelach * Seán Pádraig Ó Treasaigh

Comment

Differences in brand of acetly/polypenco pipes

Originally posted by bog-standard View Post
              Every single one of those makers have on thing in common.
              They sound at their best when you practice lots.

Exactly. I've seen at least one poly set played successfully in grade 2 solos - higher than most pipers will ever get.

Comment

Working...
              X