For all things related to Highland Dance

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most suitable reel score for Highland dancing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most suitable reel score for Highland dancing?

In the picture I put the 1st line of the famous reel tune "Mrs MacLeod of Raasay" - One with regular notes and the other with dot-cut notes.
    I would like to know what is for the dancers the most suitable score to play to dance the reel and why?

Thank you!!

Re: Most suitable reel score for Highland dancing?

Generally, in my experience playing for dancers you fall quite quickly into a pulsed style that is not quite a competitive dot/cut but certainly not round either. Rather than worry too much about it I'd say just just make sure you the tunes backwards and then give it a bash.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

In 40+ years of playing for dancers, I would say the dot/cut is the best for dancers. I think for them it is easier to hear the beat. And that is the most important thing for them to do, in order for them to dance.
      Practice Hard, win easy!
      Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
      Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thank you for your answers... So I'll directly start learning reels in dot/cut version if to be played for dancers!

Comment

In fact, from answers received on a Highland dancers forum, a regular way of playing is more suitable for dancing. A slight dot/cut may be played but not too bouncy!

Comment

Working...
          X