For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Bellows connecting tubing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick McLaurin
    Holy smoking keyboard!
    • Aug 2006

Bellows connecting tubing?

45 minutes before a wedding where I was supposed to play smallpipes the tubing between bellows and bag split.

I ended up playing the back up highland pipes I brought.

What sort of tubing do you use to connect bellows to bag?
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC
  • longwind
    Holy smoking keyboard!
    • Jan 2010

Re: Bellows connecting tubing?

I use 1" od clear tubing with that fiberglass reinforcing from Home Depot, $14.99 for 10 feet when I bought it.
    Reedmaster

Comment

• wheels2onfire
      Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
      • Dec 2014

I use 5/8 I.D. auto heater hose. I play every day and haven't had any problems.

Comment

• longwind
        Holy smoking keyboard!
        • Jan 2010

The 1 inch od fiberglass lined tubing has about a 3/4 inch id. It also comes in 7/8 inch od with an interior diameter of 5/8 of an inch.
        Reedmaster

Comment

• daj
          Forum Regular
          • Aug 2013

The only problem with the fibreglass reinforced tubing , it's not as flexible as the stuff without, but yes just plastic tubing, anything the right size, glues some leather over the top makes it look nicer. And always carry a tool kit, with spare cotton, lip balm, thicker stuff for stocks, and a bit of rubber tube!
          Another tip, if your flapper valve fails, tie it on so only half opens, bit harder to pump up but will get you through a set.

Comment

• baxter
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2013

3/4 inch, garden hose.

Comment

• zarb
              Forum Gold Medal
              • Jun 2005

I've used a lot of different types of hoses, but now, I order the bellows conenctors from NPU (Na Piobairi Uilleann) at about $9 ea.(from memory) they are spendy, but the do accordion a bit, and are substantially less stiff than the Hardware/Auto types. They tend to disconnect less at awkward times, and for that alone they are worth it.
              The older I get, the more certain I am, that everything should be made from blackwood, beeswax, reeds, shellac and bits of string...

Comment

• Rob MacDonald
                Holy smoking keyboard!
                • Apr 2007

I use the excellent rubber bellows connectors offered by Na Piobhairi Uilleann in their online shop: http://pipers.ie/store/products/rubb...ows-connector/
                The greatest economy lies in buying the best you can afford.
                www.westcoastkilts.com

Comment

• David Murry
                  Holy smoking keyboard!
                  • Jan 2005

Patrick,

I also went to the hardware store an bought a foot of the clear reinforced tubing to fit my rather larger torso ( section you went was a tad short and making my playing worse if thats possible)

The tubing works great. Cover the exposed area on black masking tape and

"dishes are done man"

"A man looks down a dark tunnel he must walk, and sees no light and the end of it. It is at that moment that his character is revealed."

Comment

• Bob Gerard
                    Forum Regular
                    • Jul 2014

I also got a foot of reinforced clear plastic tubing for mine at the hardware store and cut it to a comfortable length (someone had cut my original tube to make it more snug for me, which didn't work). It has a cloth cover that looks nice. I assume it will last longer than me.

Comment

• Ian Crane
                      Forum Member
                      • Dec 2001

Dishwasher drain tubing. It's black, cheap, and fairly flexible. I keep a spare section in my case in case of split.
                      Last edited by Ian Crane; 06-09-2016, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Kevin
                        Holy smoking keyboard!
                        • Dec 2001

I use the fibreglass reinforced pvc tubing. It works great but is very rigid. I am wondering what people used for bellows tubing before plastic tubing was invented Leather perhaps, sewn into a tube? Has anyone tried anything like that?

Kevin

Comment

• zarb
                          Forum Gold Medal
                          • Jun 2005

Kevin, yes leather tubes were common before the present day. Sometimes double layer, but mostly sewn and then tied into a wooden stock much like tieing any stock into a bag.
                          The older I get, the more certain I am, that everything should be made from blackwood, beeswax, reeds, shellac and bits of string...

Comment

• Patrick McLaurin
                            Holy smoking keyboard!
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                            I use the fibreglass reinforced pvc tubing. It works great but is very rigid. I am wondering what people used for bellows tubing before plastic tubing was invented Leather perhaps, sewn into a tube? Has anyone tried anything like that?

Kevin
                            Seth Hamon recently demonstrated a leather connecting tube. Not sure if the video was on facebook or youtube though.

Thanks all for your replies!
                            My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

• el gaitero
                              Holy smoking keyboard!
                              • Feb 2005

One more idea for the pile..... hospital/emergency services ribbed tubing like used on a variety of medical devices and applications....kind of clear slightly bluish color..very flexible, different diameters and short lengths. The ends are bushed down to a smooth connecting stub.

If you know any EMT types or hospital staff...they might find a clean unused one to your specs when no one is looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X