For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCallum Folk Pipes (blackwood drones) - Review & Play Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCallum Folk Pipes (blackwood drones) - Review & Play Test

I recently picked up a set of a set of McCallum Folk Pipes with blackwood drones, mounted in mopane/alloy. Haven't seen much discussion of them, so thought folks might find this interesting/useful. Great wee set of smallpipes and I'm loving the GHB-style drone position.

LINK: https://youtu.be/35GzTHhGUi8

Matt Willis Bagpiper
    YouTube Channel Winner of the 2020 The Big Rab Show Awards for Best Social Media!
    Personal Website

Re: McCallum Folk Pipes (blackwood drones) - Review & Play Test

Hey Matt! I saw your YouTube then found you here LOL. I'm looking at the Folk Pipes, but at least online, the Smallpipes sound better to me. I'm not sure if they are $400 better though. Are you happy with the Folk Pipes?

Comment

Which smallpipes do you speak? There are many! In any case, I am very happy with the Folk pipes by McCallum. That said, I do still play my twist-trap practice pipes too. They are quieter and more demanding of steady pressure (in a good way, we all be be steadier blowers).
      Matt Willis Bagpiper
      YouTube Channel Winner of the 2020 The Big Rab Show Awards for Best Social Media!
      Personal Website

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
        Which smallpipes do you speak? There are many! In any case, I am very happy with the Folk pipes by McCallum. That said, I do still play my twist-trap practice pipes too. They are quieter and more demanding of steady pressure (in a good way, we all be be steadier blowers).
        I am looking at the McCallum Folk pipes exactly like you reviewed. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Winch View Post
          I am looking at the McCallum Folk pipes exactly like you reviewed. Thanks for the feedback.
          I have the same pipes and the difference in sound between these and some of the small pipes is these have 2 tenor drones and 1 base and a lot of small pipes have 1 tenor (Key A), 1 baritone (Key E), and 1 base (Key A)

Comment

Originally posted by super8mm View Post
            I have the same pipes and the difference in sound between these and some of the small pipes is these have 2 tenor drones and 1 base and a lot of small pipes have 1 tenor (Key A), 1 baritone (Key E), and 1 base (Key A)
            Thanks for feedback!

Comment

Based on Matt’s video, I ordered a set of the ABW Mccallum Folk Pipes. They are back ordered so no feedback yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Winch View Post
                Based on Matt’s video, I ordered a set of the ABW Mccallum Folk Pipes. They are back ordered so no feedback yet.
                They are great pipes, the one thing I didnt care for was the pipe bag cover, It is only a rear closure. I got 2 other zipper covers so you can get to the the pipe bag zipper and open it.

Alasdair MacDonald on here at bagpipecovers.com has a pattern for this pipes so he can make a zipper bag cover. I got 2 of them LOL

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. On the zipper bag!!

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make chanter volume louder on the McCallum Folk Pipes?

Comment

Bore out the chanter a bit, make a stronger reed with a bigger staple, and move the holes around a bit so it's in tune is the technically correct, if unhelpful, answer. Without getting so excited, a stronger reed is about the only answer, and that will only do so much.
                      http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                      -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Working...
                      X