For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunbar smallpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunbar smallpipes

I never knew that Dunbar made smallpipes, but that's what these seem to be. (Unless it's a Dunbar chanter on smallpipes by another maker.)

Who knows how the bidding will go, but the opening bid is super low, a very inexpensive way for somebody to get into the smallpipes.

They're the setup I prefer, mouthblown. This set has separate drones on the shoulder, what the Victorian makers called "miniature Highland bagpipes, or chamber pipes".

Without knowing I might guess they're in Bb.

Dunbar Bagpipes, Small Pipes. | eBay
    proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Very cool. I would also like to know more about these. A "miniature" set has been in my dream list for awhile.
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Comment

The memory is fuzzy, but a guy in my band had a set of these in the late 90s. I'm not sure whether the drones are Dunbar or not. I almost want to say early model Gibson. They had a good bit of not toy-like heft and the drones were pretty steady, but the drone reeds were a little problematic.
      Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Originally posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
        The memory is fuzzy, but a guy in my band had a set of these in the late 90s. I'm not sure whether the drones are Dunbar or not. I almost want to say early model Gibson. They had a good bit of not toy-like heft and the drones were pretty steady, but the drone reeds were a little problematic.
        My first thought, too, was Gibson. To the best of my knowledge, Dunbar has never made smallpipes. The Dunbar chanter with this set appears to be a Dunbar long poly PC. The profile of the drones, particularly the tops, is certainly very reminiscent of that of Gibson's Fireside pipes. Gibson does now make polypenco Firesides, but these were introduced only after the CITES restrictions on ABW and cocobolo were brought in 5 or 6 years ago and Gibson was experiencing frustration with the paperwork and hassle exporting their Firesides--they told me that the pipes had to be exported from New York city, which entailed a drive of several hours each way from their facility in New Hampshire). The ebay set is obviously much earlier than this and the drones are not identical to the current polypenco Fireside drones. It's a bit of a mystery.
        Ian
        http://www.thepipersden.net

Comment

Originally posted by acadianpiper View Post

My first thought, too, was Gibson.
          Wasn't Gibson using a practice chanter type drone reed in the fireside pipes? I'm not sure if they switched but it looks like this set, whoever made it, has been augmented a fair bit.

Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Working...
          X