Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Completely NEW... Format... For the Forum??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Completely NEW... Format... For the Forum??

Greetings to All,

Having just now dropped in... and seeing (being confronted with??) this very different... and to my
    eye... much worse format... my first thought was... we'd been Hacked!!

And so... if I may ask... what th' Devil's presently afoot... in our/the I.T. Realm??

Regards to All,

Pip01
    My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

https://forums.bobdunsire.com/forum/...elated/112390-
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

There will be some growing pains as we hammer out the presentation details of this new software. The upside is that it has a lot more features (such as a "Like" button) and is much more mobile friendly.

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

It feels less mobile friendly to me. Everything is too large to be comfortable on my phone.

Is there a way to get a “go to first unread” or similar button again? Having to scroll through a thread to fund where you lay read something is a bit difficult.
        You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

To jump to the new post in a thread click on the blue circle with the two down-pointing triangles in it. Is that what you are after/asking?

Andrew

Comment

Looks just fine to me. Nice job on the change effort.
            Last edited by Doug Walton; 01-28-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I do hope we can either get avatar pics or remove the placeholder pic that non-mods currently have. Otherwise, I prefer this interface!
              Matt Willis Bagpiper
              YouTube Channel Winner of the 2020 The Big Rab Show Awards for Best Social Media!
              Personal Website

Comment

My innate resistance to change was quite aroused when I first logged on, realizing this luddite will have to relearn a lot, but things WILL change and likely for the better for the more techy folks. I, too, miss seeing faces, which gives the site an even more personal feel in addition to the kind and courteous discourse.

Comment

Is there any way to increase the font size when browsing? It's too cramped and hard to read for these aging eyes.
                  "SED-A-GIVE???"

www.boisehighlanders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
                    I do hope we can either get avatar pics or remove the placeholder pic that non-mods currently have. Otherwise, I prefer this interface!
                    Seconding that avatar pics would be awesome. I play Swedish bagpipes, and it'd be cool to be able to represent that.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have never liked change just because we can. I apologize if this was rude.

Comment

Will, the server that the forum was on was going away. This was a necessary change. Being that forum currently has no banner income, cutting expenses and moving to the vBulletin (our forum software) cloud hosting service was a good solution. There will initially be pain as we (mostly Mike Greene) work through all the settings to configure the new software.

TapTheForwardAssist, we'll see about the avatars. We have shied away from that since . . . well, how many animals playing bagpipes do you want to see? Bob Dunsire, the founder, opted to limit avatars to the moderators and we've stuck to that over the years.

Don, I agree about the font size. Not sure if that can be set in the software or not.

Andrew

Comment

Greetings to All,

Well... and I guess... Time... yet again!!... to at least be... partially... finagled... out
                          of... my Old Stone Cave... as comfortable... as it may be...

Rising... as best I may... to this new... to us... I.T. challenge... I can but... "make the try"...
                          (l'essai)... and hope... to not make... a complete... bollix of it all...

I do... however... have one... very... salient and personal question to ask... both here
                          amongst us... and also... and perhaps mainly... of our Moderators.

I see on the left-hand side of our "page"... that there are icons for Twitter and for
                          FaceBook.... to "Share"... and to "Tweet."

My question is... and I deem it a very important one... do they mean... is it now possible...
                          for anyone here... to simply "click" and move a "mouse"... and thereby post... on either of
                          these two other sites... what any of us here... and myself included... has written... that we
                          had thought... was intended... and solely for... our Bob Dunsire Forum??

Such... "editorial latitude"... and... without... permission... from any of us... seems to me...
                          at least...to be... totally... and completely... un-warranted.

Well... as with all of these I.T. matters... I am still... very much like a monkey with a cello...
                          perhaps any of this... FB and Twitter posting... and by random others...may not even be the
                          case... but I did think... that I should pose the question... for our general consideration.

All thoughts... ideas... and answers... gratefully welcomed!!

Regards to All,

Pip01

A Quick Post Script:

Now having seen Andrew's response to the above question... I was able to choose both
                          the font... and its size... just by my usual... bumbling about...

My next question... is how th' Devil can one opt out... of these automatically placed in...
                          yellow smiley faces... that... automatically... replace my preferred... colon : ... and my
                          preferred... ")"... to denote humor... or even happiness?? (Hope there is some simple
                          way!!)

Many thanks!!

Last edited by Pip01; 01-29-2021, 10:23 AM.
                          My friends all know,
                          With what a brave carouse...

Comment

I don't know how to Reply to a private Message anymore. That ought to be intuitive, but I can't figure it out. I dislike new formats on principle, there's always some feature you have to relearn or can't use anymore, or some incompatibility with my old Mac. makes me feel like I'm chasing my tail rather than accomplishing anything useful.

Comment

Change seems to be the way of life recently. I'm not a fan yet, but I trust that this was a necessary change and I am sure we will get used to it in time. I had a quick look around but couldn't find an un-read posts summary. Is that option still available?

Best regards,
                              Kevin
                              Last edited by Kevin; 01-29-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X