Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS fail

If I type bobdunsire.com into my browser it generates this error:

This site can’t be reached

bobdunsire.com’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.
    DNS_PROBE_STARTED

Typed bobdunsire into my Firefox browser, DuckDuckgo found the site and took me to the correct opening page.
    "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right."

Comment

Bob, I haven't seen any DNS errors. The server location/URL did change, it may be that your browser cache was outdated.

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Originally posted by dsb0628 View Post
        Typed bobdunsire into my Firefox browser, DuckDuckgo found the site and took me to the correct opening page.
        That takes you to forums.bobdunsire.com. I can type that in directly and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
          Bob, I haven't seen any DNS errors. The server location/URL did change, it may be that your browser cache was outdated.

Andrew
          It must be something on my end -- when I use my phone and turn off wifi it works as expected. Weird though. From a command prompt nslookup fails for bobdunsire.com but works for forums.bobdunsire.com

Comment

The issue is DNS related, and since the forum cloud service only supports CNAME redirection you can't use a wildcard or root domain name in CNAME records, only A records.

A records only permit IP addresses and since the cloud service doesn't provide a singular IP address we can point to that leaves root domain "bobdunsire.com' and anything BUT 'www' and 'forums' out in the cold.

However, there is a service with our registrar that will do a root domain redirect, to another URL ie; https://forums.bobdunsire.com/ I've enabled this and hopefully that will catch the few hits that go direct to the root domain and push them over to the forum landing page.
            - Mike Greene

Comment

Working...
            X