Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composition Contest Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composition Contest Q&A

Greetings,

A few questions have already popped up , and it looks like my very wordy announcement was not as clear as I hoped

First - If you have BMW Gold - send the tune directly to me (email is fine)- If your tune is not in BMW Gold - then AWPIPER (Mark) is there to help you.

Second - if / when you send a tune to me, also send me a private message (just click on the "send new Private Message" icon at the top of any of my posts) - I will answer these Private Messages as a way of confirming your entry, and verifying that you are a member..

If you're currently not a member, and you wish to enter.. just join - we're not trying to be restrictive at all..

Cheers,
    Bob

Re: Composition Contest Q&A

A couple of competition questions:

1) Unpublished tunes only, I assume? If yes, then what constitutes published, either in paper, or, on the internet?

What about our tunes on web sites--private sites, friends' sites, the ViperPiper site, &c.

2) BMW files, but not BMW Gold, to you or to AWPIPER?

Thanks Bob

Comment

Hi David,

Good questions, thanks:

1 - Yes, unpublished only.
      The goal here is simply recognition, entertainment, and fun , but we do offer a couple of unique prizes, and some publicity too I guess. I would hope that everything we see entered is either new or previously unknown. If a tune has been previously made known to the public - print, or on the web, then I think we should not include it.

2 - BMW or BMW Gold files can (should) be sent directly to me. Thanks for mentioning this..
      As the BMW program is old and DOS based, and BMW Gold is the current program, I have used that name (BMW Gold) exclusively, (oops) .. What I mean is - tunes written in / by the REAL BMW program (DOS or GOLD) should be sent to me. Mark will help with conversion / transcription to BWM from other sources..

Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

I wanted to add a bit here.Some of you have sent email about not being able to decide which tunes you want to enter (If you have written more then one for each category).
        What I have done with the one inquiry so far is to Transpose ALL of this persons tunes to BMW and sent them back till a decision is made on which to enter.(was 5 tunes)

This is beneficial in a few ways....
        1) Is similar to a blind study.I have seen the tunes but, do not know which is the final entry.
        2) The person has the tunes in a format that most pipers are familiar with and or have...(If they choose to share them with friends).

I am more then willing to do this with others if it would be beneficial for you.

****PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE**** ...when sending a tune(s) to myself or Bob include what tempo it was written to play at...As BMW has a default setting of 90 BPM unless a tempo is set by the person entering it.
        I forgot to add....I am tracking the entries sent to me by User name,Name of tune,date transposed,which category it was listed in and when it was sent to Bob...When the contest is over all this will be sent to Bob...I this way we have enough info should any questions arise.

When I send the entries on to Bob I leave the composer name on it...He will be editing out the composers name before the tunes get sent on to the judges.
        Thanks!!
        Mark
        Thanks To Jim Nisbett I am Known as "The Music Man"

/
        O///
        [ ]
        /_\
        \ /

Comment

A question has arisen pointing out a key thing.I can accept ANY type of files in the popular formats.

ABC,Piob,Finale,BMP,JPG,GIF,Adobe,PCX,ART,Electric pipes,Lime,and Noteworthy.

Mark

/
          O///
          [ ]
          /_\
          \ /

Comment

For those of you that have sent tunes to me to be transposed you know I am taking this seriously.
            I am transposing the tunes EXACTLY as they are sent.I am however sending emails to the composer if I find a question on a embellishment or grace note or if tempo is not listed.
            As I do not want errors that can be corrected prior to submission to the judges to be on the final version.
            If the questionable gracenote or embellishment is intended...Not a problem....but,I will have asked.
            So far this has only occurred on FINALE and PIOB software as it is "Click and Drop" program.
            So PLEASE do not take offense if you get a email or two from me with inquiries...I want the tunes as YOU intended them to be played.
            Also, PLEASE send Bob a Private message after submitting a tune to myself or Bob to verify the entry.
            GREAT STUFF SO FAR!!!
            Cheers,
            Mark

/
            O///
            [ ]
            /_\
            \ /

Comment

Originally posted by AWPIPER:
              ABC,Piob,Finale,BMP,JPG,GIF,Adobe,PCX,ART,Electric pipes,Lime,and Noteworthy.
              Mark
              What about Pipewriter? *.PIP
              - I actually bought this product before it became freeware. It serves my purposes and I haven't felt compelled to change. But I can produce a GIF file if needed or easier.
              Rick James
              Sierra Highlanders
              sierrahighlanderspipeband.com
              Sample mp3
              Reno, NV

Comment

Rick,
                However you want to send the tune is fine...I can convert it to BMW fairly easily...I just have to remember where I put the Pipewriter Program on my computer.All the other formats are easily converted directly into BMW.
                Mark

/
                O///
                [ ]
                /_\
                \ /

Comment

A Update on the contest....As of August 17th I have processed 34 tunes of which 20 (so far) have been sent on to Bob to edit and send on to the judges.
                  (remainder are either just transcibed for the composers or Awaiting decisions on which to submit)
                  The caliber of tunes that I have seen...Let alone the ones that went direct to Bob (which I have not seen)...Have been IMPRESSIVE to put it mildly.
                  KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!
                  Mark

/
                  O///
                  [ ]
                  /_\
                  \ /

Comment

hi, just a wee thought on this subject.

THere are 3 catagories. Marches, Strath's/reels/airs, and kitchen piping tunes.
                    just an idea. but could it be worth expanding this and making an extra catagory for "Slow airs" on it's own??? Just wondering as I wouldn't really fit Airs in the same catagory as Strath/reels. and If there was a seperate catagory for this type of tune, it could generate a wee bitty more interest aswell, or at least create an extra chance for an additional winner..

I don't know. Just a wee thought. Hope you know what I mean.

Thanks anyway, and I'll try get my tunes through to you soon enough.

Cheers,
                    Jockyboy.

Comment

Hi Jock

The three categories are actually an expansion of my original 'plan' of two (would have been - Marches and other). One concern I had was to have too many categories resulting in a group with few entries. So far (I realize we're in fact forcing it a bit with our limitations) we have 12, 9, and 14 tunes (FWIW - 4 Airs are in the contest so far - of the 9 in that group.)

Happily we have already exceeded the number of entries I anticipated, and for this (just entry numbers numbers) I think three groups is not bad. I understand your concern (I think) - but so far, it does seem to be working - at least as far as relative balance of group entries. Comparing / judging the potentially wide variety of tunes from Cat II might be a challenge I agree.. and this is why we pay the 'big bucks' (kidding Neil )..

I hope we're not doing anything that discourages entries - but I would rather stay with the plan as we have it today.. Next year .. hummm :humm:

Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

Lets consider this years contest a EXPERIMENT ....It can only be improved over time.
                        The numbers Bob mentioned are also only a partial list of the tunes that were processed...A bunch more were transposed to BMW and sent back to composers till decision was made on which would be entered.
                        Mark

/
                        O///
                        [ ]
                        /_\
                        \ /

Comment

First, Thanks Bob
                          But we are working on correcting that one.
                          Mark

/
                          O///
                          [ ]
                          /_\
                          \ /

Comment

Working...
                          X