Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappearing Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing Topic

I posted a topic in the Music forum this morning about file conversion. I believe there were a couple of replies but the topic has mysteriously disappeared. Who stole it? Any moderators available to shed some light?

Cheers

G
    The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing..if you can fake that, you've got it made

Re: Disappearing Topic

I was one of the replies. Apparently I mentioned a piece of software that is considered warez (not exactly sure what that means.. pirated?) Bob sent me an e-mail warning me against suggesting it and shut down the thread. Didn't realise I did anything wrong until after the fact. Sorry for any problems I may have caused.

Scott
    Re vera, potas bene.

Comment

Scott,
      If the program was Bagpipe Reader....That is a "Pirate" version of Bagpipe Music Writer Gold...Just a bit of the backround on Bob's reaction to reader...He and the originator of the BMW program (Robert MacNeil) are good friends...Bob is also listed on the credits of the Gold Program...So he takes it a bit personally when someone mentions the Reader program.
      Mark
      Thanks To Jim Nisbett I am Known as "The Music Man"

/
      O///
      [ ]
      /_\
      \ /

Comment

I didn't realise the background on Bagpipe Reader, an innocent mistake on my part.

Cheers

G
        The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing..if you can fake that, you've got it made

Comment

Well it's all news to me. I wasn't aware of that at all. Again, sorry for any problems bmfw.
          Re vera, potas bene.

Comment

Is not normally a problem...But,with the contest a tune slipped by in Reader format.
            I explained to Bob and I shall explain a point here...Anyone who has the GOLD program who downloaded the "Add on" from Doug's site (For transposing tunes to BMW from other formats)when a tune is transposed into the Gold Program it "Automatically" gets a "Reader" tag in the coding....Although,this can be deleted out of the coding without effecting the tune...It has to be done manually.

Mark

/
            O///
            [ ]
            /_\
            \ /

Comment

Hey Mark,

I'm just wondering...is that the same program YOU had me download a few months ago?

If it is i definately don't want it...but its rather hypocritical to advise me to download it then come here and talk about how terrible it is and act like Bob's spokesperson against it.

No offence Mark. I was just wondering. Hey maybe you didn't know then, right? :idea:

Ah well...everyone makes mistakes.

CP

Comment

Why?

IMO - There is more to this story than either one of us will fully understand. I respect the differences of opinion as well as the emotional arguments regarding the software's history and its use,
                however I say - "Let it be handled by legal means".
                It ain't my fight. I did not hack the license nor did I obtain it via illegal means.
                My version states that it has a copyright by the creator (Doug Wickstrom). It also has a license - which I will not print here for the sake of brevity.
                I think it important to note that my PC has been audited by external auditors. The program was identified and passed the auditor's criteria for compliance, licensing and use.

For now, you and I do nothing legally wrong by downloading the software and using it(per the agreement).

It is no different than WinAmp, WinZip, and many of those other utilities found on ZDNet (a ligitimate business site).

I am open minded - if someone cares to explain the details of how this product is pirated or illegal, then I will be glad to listen. I know the story behind it... so give me the non-emotional version please.
                So far, it sounds like a riff between a few guys that has gotten nasty - you and I get sunburn from the radioactive fallout.

Our only transgression is making mention of it here.
                And I respect the fact that we should not mention it on this forum.

Originally posted by NewPiperLass:
                ..If it is i definately don't want it...
                CP

Comment

As Doug was CHARGING people for the download it was ASSUMED that part of the money was going to the COPYRIGHT HOLDER (As he is listed on the program as one of the original people to write the program).It has become evident that NONE of the money collected is going to Robert.
                  As far as being a "Spokesperson" against the program...I am simply explaining the reason Bob had a reaction to the Reader Formatted tune that was submitted....The reader program itself is a good program...even those that have the Purchased version have downloaded pieces from that site...IE: the add ons for importing other formats of tunes to be changed to BMW format.
                  Mark

/
                  O///
                  [ ]
                  /_\
                  \ /

Comment

Ah that was just sarcasm Shawn...I think I'll keep it.
                    I just wondered why he suddenly had such an opinion, and was w\ bob on this, when hes been advising people to download it himself.

No prollems

Cp

Comment

Ah that was just sarcasm Shawn...I think I'll keep it.
                      I just wondered why he suddenly had such an opinion, and was w\ bob on this, when hes been advising people to download it himself.

No prollems

Cp
                      I think if you re-read Marks posts, you'll find him merely explaining why Bob feels the way he does. Mark wasn't taking either side on this issue, just passing along some info to us 'uninformed'.

-Scott
                      Re vera, potas bene.

Comment

If the program was Bagpipe Reader....That is a "Pirate" version of Bagpipe Music Writer
                        Looks to me like he agrees w\ it...

CP

Comment

I did send Lass the link for the site.... HOWEVER more of the history has been made clear to myself and others via Bob and others "privvy" to the backround in the past few months.
                          SDowns was correct that the product DOES carry a COPYRIGHT and LICENSE on the download...Hence the reason alot of us thought it was a LEGAL version...Plus,was a charge posted for using the download.
                          We were all swayed by the "SEEMINGLY" legal status of the site.
                          I merely answered a question that was asked with a BIT of the backround that has been shared.
                          Mark

/
                          O///
                          [ ]
                          /_\
                          \ /

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the program was Bagpipe Reader....That is a "Pirate" version of Bagpipe Music Writer
                            Looks to me like he agrees w\ it...

CP
                            </div></div>This is getting redundent, but if you still do not understand, I'll explain further....

Mark is stating the software is a "Pirate" version of BMW. That's it. No where in that sentence does he express an opinion on whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. It's obvious that whether or not we on the forum knew about the legalities of this software or not, a lot of us use it and will continue to do so. I know I will, as will you, as will Mark, as will many others.
                            I also think it was in poor taste to announce on the forums that Mark sent you the link (which he did as a favor) after reading how Bob feels about it. Just my opinion.

Feel free to get in the last word.

Scott
                            Re vera, potas bene.

Comment

I was done arguing after my last post, but thank you for your opinion.

CP

Comment

Working...
                              X