Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Announcements - an idea..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Announcements - an idea..

While travelling, and as a result not watching the forums as often as 'usual' , I've had a thought. (or two )

I do want a place for announcements - so members won't feel a need to cross post or duplicate posts.. but - often announcements very reasonably lead to a discussion.. and this is a bit away from the goal I've had for the Your Announcement forum..

So - open for discussion.. an idea: Announcements would be posted in the beer tent, or any other (single) reasonable location, where there is not any problem with follow up discussion, and I would (or any moderator would) duplicate the announcement in the Your Announcement forum..

This might mean a short delay (but usually just hours only I think) in getting an announcement into the YA forum, but it would easily resolve the 'issue' of threads developing in the YA forum.

BTW - the only reason I would like to not see threads in the YA forum is the main page display, which is ordered by latest post, and this seems to be a disadvantage to many - if your announcement is not top / most recent.

So, your comments/ ideas..:
    1) moderators post YA, either from emails sent to us, PMs sent, or our finding items in other forums.

B) leave the YA forum as it is, and continue to encourage only announcements

iii) Other ideas / thought?

Thanks,

Bob

Re: Your Announcements - an idea..

Is there some way of limiting 'threads' in that forum to one post only, e.g. the initial post and then the 'thread' locks itself? That would avoid the possibility of 'bumping' and would mean you wouldn't have to worry about chasing discussions over to the Beer Tent

I have no idea if that's easy (or possible!) to do. A thought though
    B'fhearr a bhi samhach na droch dhan a ghabhail.

Comment

Aye, then ppl. could private message you in order to respond, or e-mail! :idea:
      -----------------------------------
      Charlie

- There are no short cuts to any place worth going

Comment

What about that: the reply to an announcement is moved automatically to the Tent. So the announcement kepps in the YA forum and the discussion is moved to the beer tent.
        ". . . I am a piper. Hath not a piper eyes? hath not a piper hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die?..."

Comment

Bob,

How about a check box that allows a post to be placed in the YA forum at the choice of the submitter. That way, we can post in the Beer Tent, etc, which would allow it to be discussed, but also be placed in the Announcments. Maybe also limit the Announcements forum to the just original post, no post reply option and with a statement that it is in such and such forum if you wish to discuss it. If the poster wishes to add an announcement to the YA, maybe a statement to the fact that if this might be a discussion topic, then post it in the appropriate forum. Seems a little redundant, but it might be an easier compromise than trying to get the moderators to screen each possible topic to move to the YA forum. And it accomplishes the desired result, but gives the responsibility to the poster, rather than the moderator. I think we all can judge if the posting will raise discussion.

Bryan
          Bryan Robinson

Comment

Thinking about the suggestions (seen here and via email); there is a very simple (for me I mean )option:

No longer allow replies to posts in this forum - anyone can start a thread / post an announcement, but no one (moderators excepted) would be able to reply.

Replies to the thread would go to the Beer Tent, or the appropriate forum..

Would this be a problem?

Bob

Comment

I think not! :woohoo:
              -----------------------------------
              Charlie

- There are no short cuts to any place worth going

Comment

OK - After thinking about this more, I guess we should add this concern / idea of mine to the list as another 'Bob' idea that was a 'not too good' I guess..

My concern has been to give every member an equal chance to be top of the YA forum with their announcements (as in, follow up posts bump threads to the top, and I wanted to slow these bumps)- but I've been watching for the past few days (I have the tools you know :humm: ), and viewers are in fact checking more than just the top Announcment.. So it seems my concern is not really a big issue at all..

Soooo.... Never mind.. carry on.. sorry to cause the confusion..

I will watch for 'bumping games'.. but there is (of course) no problem with responding to Announcements, in fact I'm suggesting the YA Forum be used for web site announcements too - and these usually do bring responses, and ... I'll calm down now..

Comment

Working...
                X