Sharing memories of friends and loved ones departed from our world of piping drumming and pipe bands.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe Major Robert Pinkman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Major Robert Pinkman

Pipe Major Robert Pinkman...Kings Own Scottish Borderers...composer of such wonderful tunes as "Itchy Fingers"....and good friend of my goodself....has passed away.....another legend gone.........!!!

Re: another legend...gone..!!

This is bad news - he couldn't have been very old. He was certainly a robust character.

Comment

Re: Pipe Major Robert Pinkman

did not post this as a memorium...but information..........

Comment

Thanks Ian.

Comment

Dreadful news. I liked Rob Pinkman. Lived life to the full and great company

Comment

Sad News indeed.

I met Rab one Hogmany at The Three Stags Pub near the Imperial War Museum in London, after we had finished our New Year Jobs.

The 3 stags was run at that time by Ex I.G R.S.M Brendan McCann who was also the Base Drummer in the SGA (Bucks and Berks)

Brendan gathered us all together for an after hours Hoolie, and it was indeed quite a session. As Roger said he was full of life. I also found another tune of his called Tracey Bear which I have somewhere.

RIP Rab....Its your round
            J.A.B.MACDONALD

Comment

John, not to derail this posting, but is that the same Brendan McCann from Belfast who wrote a book about his experiences in Hong Kong and Belize?
              The Best Pipe Band in the World
              When the foemen reel before them in the thunder of the fray,they shall shout your name in triumph at the "Dawning of the Day"

Comment

Originally posted by the old marshal View Post
                Pipe Major Robert Pinkman...Kings Own Scottish Borderers...composer of such wonderful tunes as "Itchy Fingers"....and good friend of my goodself....has passed away.....another legend gone.........!!!
                Is there any chance of more information please Old Marshal. Details of Funeral arrangements etc would be good too

Thanks

Comment

Roger, think it was last week. Thurs? Done, anyway.

Comment

Yip...we buried Rab on Tuesday the 18th December at Newbattle cemetery....it was a small gathering....Tom Wilson.ex Shotts...Harry Mcnulty,Jim Turnbull (R.Scots)...my goodself....Jim Nicholl..(R.E retired)..old Eddie Hanratty and young Eddie were there..Frankie Orr ..family and friends...some K.O.S.B...guys who served with Rab...a couple of Glencorse Pipe Band pipers played on what was a lovely....but a cold morning ,a magical frozen mist...drifted over and between the graves..a few of the Jamies Scottish evening cast were there...and some people I did not know..but a lovely wee service...for a legend.....as the celebrant said....Robert lived life to the full...........!!!,says it all really...

Comment

My goodness. This was kept quiet. Nothing anywhere apart from on here. He has good friends who will be shocked when I tell them. One used to babysit Melody. Well that's that then. A shocker. Thanks very much for recording it on here otherwise we'd never have known so immediately. Cheers

Comment

http://www.kosb.co.uk/apps/forums/to...robert-pinkman

Comment

Sad news indeed. Rab was stationed in the south of England for a few years in the eighties (P/M at the army apprentices college) and was a valuable addition to the piping scene in London. A very musical player, great company and certainly one who lived life to the full.

Comment

I can only add that this is indeed very sad news and I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere. I met Robert some years ago at 95 Horseferry Road, where everyone who can inflate a bagpipe in the SE and has some sense will spend some time. A lively guy, and a musical player.
                            Callander Pipe Band FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
                            Lowland and Borders Piper's Society

Comment

Originally posted by the old marshal View Post

Yip...we buried Rab on Tuesday the 18th December at Newbattle cemetery....it was a small gathering....Tom Wilson.ex Shotts...Harry Mcnulty,Jim Turnbull (R.Scots)...my goodself....Jim Nicholl..(R.E retired)..old Eddie Hanratty and young Eddie were there..Frankie Orr ..family and friends...some K.O.S.B...guys who served with Rab...a couple of Glencorse Pipe Band pipers played on what was a lovely....but a cold morning ,a magical frozen mist...drifted over and between the graves..a few of the Jamies Scottish evening cast were there...and some people I did not know..but a lovely wee service...for a legend.....as the celebrant said....Robert lived life to the full...........!!!,says it all really...
                              I met Rab at Glencorse barracks while i waited for a flight to Aden to rejoin the band of The Royal Scots after attending The Senior pipers course at the castle. He had a great sense of humor and was popular as a piping instructor with the junior service kids. RIP Rab.
                              Steve Kelly--ex-Royal Scots

Comment

Working...
                              X