Be nice (please)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I Read That Right?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Did I Read That Right?

    I was on a music download site recently and came across some new tune titles. They were on a couple of those tossed together albums done by "Various Artists" with a pic of a piper's silhouette on it (or was it the castle at Eileen Donan?) The tunes were "The Rowing Tree Wings" and "The Scar of the County Down." Those have got to be someone's favorites.


    JMB

  • #2
    Re: Did I Read That Right?

    Ha! That's awesome. I will be referring to these tunes by these titles going forward.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Did I Read That Right?

      Mondegreens forever!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Did I Read That Right?

        There were several iterations of a reasonable (as I recall) piping album years ago that included the very big hits The Conund Rum and Pio Baireachd.
        Aaron Shaw
        [email protected]
        [email protected]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Did I Read That Right?

          Originally posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
          There were several iterations of a reasonable (as I recall) piping album years ago that included the very big hits The Conund Rum and Pio Baireachd.
          The version I have lying around somewhere gives it as The Conan Drum.

          I do wonder if these aren't incompetence, but simply attempts to evade royalty payments.
          http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
          -- Formerly known as CalumII

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Did I Read That Right?

            Hmmmm....not sure which Conan I'd prefer to hear on that drum-the Barbarian or O'Brien?
            Aaron Shaw
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Did I Read That Right?

              I have one of those compilations that includes "The Jig of Sluts."

              There's a mental image...
              Esse Quam Videri

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Did I Read That Right?

                Originally posted by Michael New View Post
                I have one of those compilations that includes "The Jig of Sluts."

                There's a mental image...

                No doubt there’ll be quite a few of those types of Jigs, later on during St Patrick’s Day revelries.

                Charlie
                "Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Did I Read That Right?

                  Originally posted by John Blunt View Post

                  and "The Scar of the County Down."


                  In The Piping Game long enough... and there's lots 'n
                  lots of "scars"... to go around...

                  Nothing like trying... a bit... o' th' pie-broke!!

                  (Pie R square? ... No!!... Pie R round.

                  (Sorry... Just couldn't help it... Any of it...


                  Pip01
                  Holy smoking keyboard!
                  Last edited by Pip01; 01-29-2018, 08:10 PM.
                  My friends all know,
                  With what a brave carouse...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Did I Read That Right?

                    Originally posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
                    Hmmmm....not sure which Conan I'd prefer to hear on that drum-the Barbarian or O'Brien?
                    Ha! Both would have real merit... I think the Barbarian would fit right in at a lot of the Tinkers' shows!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Did I Read That Right?

                      Originally posted by Michael New View Post
                      I have one of those compilations that includes "The Jig of Sluts."

                      There's a mental image...
                      [emoji23] my goodness! This thread is a gold mine! I'm going through our band's music files tight now to change the titles on all our music!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Did I Read That Right?

                        Originally posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
                        There were several iterations of a reasonable (as I recall) piping album years ago that included the very big hits The Conund Rum and Pio Baireachd.
                        I might still have that album on cassette that I bought when I was a newbie piper almost 40 years ago.
                        Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Did I Read That Right?

                          OOPS... Sorry, duplicate post...
                          LloydB
                          Forum Gold Medal
                          Last edited by LloydB; 02-25-2018, 05:58 PM.
                          LloydB
                          *****

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Did I Read That Right?

                            Originally posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
                            I might still have that album on cassette that I bought when I was a newbie piper almost 40 years ago.
                            "Here comes the mighty 48th"

                            48th Highlanders of Canada.
                            Album released in the 1950's
                            or early '60's.

                            (The CD has the same titles...
                            no attempt to correct them
                            in the intervening decades.)
                            LloydB
                            *****

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Did I Read That Right?

                              Originally posted by LloydB View Post
                              "Here comes the mighty 48th"

                              48th Highlanders of Canada.
                              Album released in the 1950's
                              or early '60's.

                              (The CD has the same titles...
                              no attempt to correct them
                              in the intervening decades.)
                              The one I had ( may still have?) was called The Pipes And Drums Of Scotland. Not the 48th of Canada- I'll have to see if I can exhume it.
                              Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X