X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bog-standard
    replied
    Re: Not Too Keen on Bagpipes? Dublin, 1879

It was Pickles from Cavan. Nothing good comes from Cavan.

Leave a comment:

• Klondike Waldo
    replied
    Re: Not Too Keen on Bagpipes? Dublin, 1879

Originally posted by Seán Donnelly View Post
    The fife, the penny whistle, and the concertina are equally purveyors of bad music in Dublin streets, but the Scotch bagpipes, employed unprofessionally to head a marching column of young men, is carrying the matter a little too far. During this past month, this new nuisance has developed so prodigiously, that I have heard the strains at least a dozen of times. The oldest airs are, of course, the most popular, and 'Home, sweet Home', is first favourite. The sentiment of this old song, I shall ever admire; and when I hear it 'horsed wildly' on the Scotch bagpipes, I find cause to regret that an instrument which so feelingly displays its love for home, should ever have been induced to leave it.

'Pickles', The Irish Times, 18 October 1879, p. 4.
    Was that Pickles, The Clown or Sour Pickles, I wonder.

Leave a comment:

• Seán Donnelly
    started a topic Not Too Keen on Bagpipes? Dublin, 1879

Not Too Keen on Bagpipes? Dublin, 1879

The fife, the penny whistle, and the concertina are equally purveyors of bad music in Dublin streets, but the Scotch bagpipes, employed unprofessionally to head a marching column of young men, is carrying the matter a little too far. During this past month, this new nuisance has developed so prodigiously, that I have heard the strains at least a dozen of times. The oldest airs are, of course, the most popular, and 'Home, sweet Home', is first favourite. The sentiment of this old song, I shall ever admire; and when I hear it 'horsed wildly' on the Scotch bagpipes, I find cause to regret that an instrument which so feelingly displays its love for home, should ever have been induced to leave it.

'Pickles', The Irish Times, 18 October 1879, p. 4.
Working...
X