Busking in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busking in Toronto

I'll be in the Toronto area late June - early July for piping school, and would like to busk in Toronto for a few days. Any suggestions from pipers who have done this (best spots/times)?

I think I remember hearing that you need a license to busk...will they give one to a Gringo like me? Does it take a while to get it?

It'll be my first time ever in Canada...can't wait to spend all that Canadian currency tourists dump in my case here in L.A. (I think I have enough for a kilt).

The Lady Piper
    TheLadyPiper.com

Re: Busking in Toronto

Lady Piper,

Your best bet would be anywhere around the SkyDome after a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game...I used to busk the baseball games quite often, making anywhere from $100.00 - $250.00 per night; depending on the size of crowd. Also, you may want to check out the Eaton Centre @ 12:00 and Union Station @ about 4:00 - 5:00...that's when all the 'traffic' is present.

Good luck.

Comment

...forgot to mention...the places that I named in my previous post do not require a busking licence. The only place that requires a licence is underground in the subway stations...

Regards,

Jason D. Briscoe

Comment

By the entrance of the Eaton's Center,
        but my colleague Curly will probably be
        there at lunch. Also, from 9 to 12 and
        2 to 5 it's forbidden to busk there. And
        you should get a permit (just over $30 at
        416-338-7224)
        Desiderantes meliorem patriam

Comment

be sure to watch out for SARS
          Girls don't like boys, Girls like cars and money

Comment

Yeah. Don't lick anyone elses pipes... :humm:
            Some people are like slinkies...they don't serve much purpose but still put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs...
            -----------------------------------

Comment

I think I mentioned elsewhere about the regular busker in TO with the red and white bag cover. I'd love to jam with him for a bit! Anyone know'im? Some of my band mates have met him, but I'd like to hook up just for kicks!
              Some people are like slinkies...they don't serve much purpose but still put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs...
              -----------------------------------

Comment

Perry Goutier is a regular busker at the corner of King and Bay every Friday (even in the winter time).

Comment

Originally posted by Brant:
                  be sure to watch out for SARS
                  Sod's Law being what it is I was also due to be in Toronto around that time LadyPiper. Not I'm afraid to say to attend a piping college but to meet my girlfriend's family who all live there. Sadly, we had booked our flights and were just about to pay for them when the insurance companies announced that they wouldn't pay if one contracted SARS because Canada was on the WHO list so we had to cancel. By the time the WHO had decided to backtrack, the seats were beyond by price range so it looks as we're destined not to meet yet again LadyPiper.

Merrick AKA LondonPiper

Comment

Merrick,

Ah, RATS!

I hope this whole SARS things is another overblown story; just something to sell newspapers. I was a teeny bit concerned because I get colds and throat infections about every 3 weeks (from my pipe students' pipes?? Nah, I think it's L.A.'s smog). My doctor, who is very conservative, went and said, "GO!"

Well, we'll just have to meet some other time!

The Lady Piper

P.S. That's a good "story," Merrick...I know ye just didn't want to Meet the Parents!
                    TheLadyPiper.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Lady Piper:
                      P.S. That's a good "story," Merrick...I know ye just didn't want to Meet the Parents!
                      Shhhh Lady Piper, not so loud, she's got ears in the back of her head!

By the way, talking of your jaunts abroad, I thought of you when the Cannes Film Festival was being reported this year. Did you go over and how 's your wee film from last year going?

Merrick AKA LondonPiper

Comment

Merrick,

I skipped Cannes this year (I've been busy writing my autobiography "The Woman Director," which hopefully will come out in November [shamless plug: The Woman Director . The book has LOTS of bagpipe stories in it (I'm a director...but what I REALLY want to do is PIPE!")]

My film is dead - my distributor, who loved the film, got bought out by a bigger distributor, who hates my film, so they effectively buried it. The rights revert back to me in 6 years. I'm selling videos of the film from my private collection until they run out.

The Lady Piper
                        TheLadyPiper.com

Comment

Hmmm...what an appropriate time to release your autobiography...November. If I see a crazy woman running around in a Felix the Cat sporran at the DooDah, I'll know it's you.

john

Comment

John,

Thanks for the great idea!

You should see my brand-new aqua sequin sporran! :woohoo:

The Lady Piper
                            TheLadyPiper.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Lady Piper:
                              You should see my brand-new aqua sequin sporran! :woohoo:

Great! It will go perfect with my aqua sequin kilt!

Comment

Working...
                              X