Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beer Additives

Originally posted by Jeff C.:
    For me it's Guinness or nothing (unless I've already had a few Guinness, then who knows).

For some reason, our local establishments all have a problem with the Guiness. It comes out a bit flat and bitter. For this reason, I have taken a shine to Murphys and sometimes Beamish.
    "I'm fixin to R-U-N-N-O-F-T"

Comment

Yes Mario, I have stumbled across Belgian Lambics, and I love them. They certainly aren't to most people's taste, but I'll take a decent Kriek or Framboise over some of big commercial beers any day.

Has anyone ever tried a milk stout? When I was home-brewing (before taking up the pipes - there ain't room in my life for both) I made one once that was absolutely delicious. Now there's a beer with an additive (lactose)...mmmmmm

This thread is making me thirsty.

Bottoms up!

- Alasdair

Comment

And then there is this

Can we say Vincent Van Gogh!

Comment

Used to live in Britain in the 80s, at which time pubgoers would drink the sickening combination of lager and blackberry syrup. No additive is welcomed into my beer, but I will gladly let it be accompanied by aquavite such as Aalborg or Maltezerkreutz.

Cheers

Lars

Comment

Back in the 50's there was a bar outside the gate at Cherry Point N.C. (Marine airwing base) that served tomatoe juice in the draft beer. Depending on the time of day, you would have to tell them that you DID NOT want lt.
            Pop aka Larry Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Drew McPheeters:
              And then there is this

Hmmm, Absinthe, fascinating stuff! Coming back from the Czech Republic in February I saw some on sale in the duty free shop at the airport in Prague and decided to buy a bottle, mainly as a souvenir as that's where it originally comes from. Many months later, having taken some advice from my local barman on how best to drink it, I gave it a try. My first mistake was not reading the label properly, especially the part that describes the strength! A cursory glance led me to believe it was 70 degrees proof, i.e. 35% alcohol which is normal/weakish for a spirit. WRONG!! It is indeed 70% alcohol!!! which is why, when mixed with any chaser such as beer, it is lethal. That having been said, however, it does indeed give a very positive outlook on life for the first few glasses though the next day a few things don't function as well as they ought, if you catch my drift gentlemen .

On the subject of additives to beer the "Irish Breakfast", a whole raw egg added to a pint of Guiness, was the staple lunch for the Irish crews whom I worked with building the M40 motorway back in the late 70's. I find it's a very good way of keeping going during an evening's drinking if you haven't had the time to eat before going out as it's claimed that it contains just about everything you need in terms of sustenance.

Merrick AKA LondonPiper

Comment

I agree with PNB and Mike, Kilt Lifter is by far my favorite. When PNB fills my doorway (and he DOES fill a door way!!!), with his sheepish grin and a six pack of Kilt Lifter, I know my evening will be filled with talk of piping, great stories (some true), and that by the end of the evening we'll be singing Old Clancy Brothers songs, and our sides will hurt from laughing WAY too much!! As far as adding anything too it? Friends!
                TDW
                "It's not about the kilt or the competition, it's about the music. Learn that music, and the spirit of the Celtic peoples will burn in you forever. That is why we play." P/M James C. Morrison 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Pop:
                  Back in the 50's there was a bar outside the gate at Cherry Point N.C. (Marine airwing base) that served tomatoe juice in the draft beer. Depending on the time of day, you would have to tell them that you DID NOT want lt.
                  That's a "Bloody Beer", pretty common. Kind of like a Bloody Mary with beer. The people talking about the Clamato juice were talking about the same thing. Some people use Clamato, some regular tomato juice.

Comment

Having seen over 50 replies I shall now tell what I was adding to beer when I thought up this little challenge.

About a pound of diced steak (tossed in seasoned flour), an onion and about half a pound of mushrooms. After it had cooked for a while I loaded it into a pudding basin lined with suet pastry and steamed it for an hour, and we had a scrumptious meat pudding for dinner. The same mix goes well in a short crust casing as a meat pie.

Ian

Comment

I get it! Yumm! How about chopped bacon rendered down in a cast iron skillet add diced onion and garlic. Add that to a pint of beer, and then add mixed greens, simmer till wilted and add salt crushed black pepper, and a pinch of cayenne!?!
                      Rat Ba$tard

Comment

Originally posted by londonpiper:
                        <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Drew McPheeters:
                        <span style="font-weight: bold"> And then there is this

Hmmm, Absinthe, fascinating stuff! Coming back from the Czech Republic in February I saw some on sale in the duty free shop at the airport in Prague and decided to buy a bottle, mainly as a souvenir as that's where it originally comes from. Many months later, having taken some advice from my local barman on how best to drink it, I gave it a try. My first mistake was not reading the label properly, especially the part that describes the strength! A cursory glance led me to believe it was 70 degrees proof, i.e. 35% alcohol which is normal/weakish for a spirit. WRONG!! It is indeed 70% alcohol!!! </span></div></div>REAL Absynthe from Van Gogh's day was made from wormwood, and was literally poisonous. Caused brain damage and occassionally death. You cannot buy the real stuff at your local bar or duty free shop. "Absynthe" now is merely very strong grain alcohol.
                        Ted at large

Comment

Hmmmmmm! I have a recipe I use in chili cookoffs which I add seveal cans of beer along with diced beef and an aray of secret ingredients. It's usually one beer for me, one for the chili, one for me, ........etc.
                          That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodopolis:
                            [ You cannot buy the real stuff at your local bar or duty free shop. "Absynthe" now is merely very strong grain alcohol. [/QB]
                            Darn I'm off to the U.K. on July 3rd and was getting pretty excited about tracking that stuff down.

But as to the above question my father in law puts this crappy tasting apple juice, called rough I think, in beer or some such ridiculousness. Don't get me wrong, that stuff will kick you in the nads but I'd rather drink paint thinner. Went to Bristol last year and ordered a Bass, it was warm... couldn't drink it. Funny our differences, even in drink. Now that clam thing has got me wanting to ralph.
                            -John

Comment

On the topic of Clamato juice, a couple of the desenting replies were:

Originally posted by Theodopolis:
                              As for anybody who would actually add CLAM JUICE to beer, that's just wrong. If the beer you drink is so utterly bad that you have to add dirty water and tomato juice to it, you need to pick another beer.
                              Originally posted by mosafef:
                              Now that clam thing has got me wanting to ralph.
                              Ah well..as my dear departed Dad would have said "That's just more for me then."
                              "That's not the way it's written, but I can play it like that."
                              "Regina - Reej-eye-nah ..and yes, you can smirk when you say it and it won't bother us"
                              Proud Resident of the Rider Nation

Comment

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"&gt;Originally posted by PNB:
                                &lt;strong&gt; Have found a beer that comes from the Pikes Brewing company in Seattle. Nice little Scotch Ale by the name of Kilt Lifter . Nothing needs to be added.

Steve
                                Teachers open the door... You enter by yourself. (Chinese Proverb)
                                An' if ye play as bad as me, ye bugger off back oot the door .... pronto!

Comment

Working...
                                X