Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

This one is on the cusp of piper/non-piper. I'm the only color guard carrying the banner on 5th ave in ny. The band strikes up with a nice 6/8 and I am really enjoying myself. Around 57th st a burly genntleman shouts out "Who u wit?". The band is three blocks back!
    have fun
    http://swordoflight.com

Comment

A dumb thing pipers do? Put their pipes down on my drum!
      Reality is only an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie Pedersen
        To a piper it's not a "drum", it's a "pipe stand".
        As are pianos, parked cars, chairs, tables, hedges, and nearly anything else that's handy.
        proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I knew someone who drove off with his pipes sitting on the top of his car.

Another fellow left his pipes sitting against the wall at a dance-- and went home. I took his pipes home and called him the next day, he did not yet realize they were missing. (was an alcohol related incident)
          "Always stand on principle....even if you stand alone." -- John Quincy Adams

Comment

I can't help but notice that the Dumb Things Non-Pipers Say greatly outnumber Dumb Things that Pipers Do (Or Say).

So we can conclude that Pipers are a lot more intelligent than non-pipers. (Do I need to be PC and include drummers, as in "Pipe Band Members" vs "Non Pipe Band Members"?)

Alex
            Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
            Yoda

Comment

In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie Pedersen

Check the band rulebook!
                That's S.O.P.!

http://www.mccallumbagpipes.com

Comment

My most memorable to date was the ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!

http://www.mccallumbagpipes.com

Comment

Originally posted by JAH
                    In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!
                    I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore.

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way.

Comment

ceiling fan vs bass drone....

Fortunately they were my Crislers so the damage was to the ceiling fan!
                      ----------------------------------------

Yes!!!
                      At long last a battle won during the War in the Southern US between ceiling fans and GHB's!

Jim

Comment

We were comparing chanters, and I put one of mine on back of my black car in the evening. Needless to say I really miss my chanter, it was my first one.
                        The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
                        -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Comment

Once I drove 150 miles across the state to perform as guest soloist with a concert band and left my kilt on the bed at home! I did not discover my mistake until 45 minutes before the performance time when I opened my clothes bag to begin getting dressed. Luckily my wife, bless her soul, had discovered my mistake and hired a delivery service to send my kilt. It arrived just in the nick of time! I never asked my wife how much the delivery cost and upon returning home presented her with a dozen roses and much thanks.

Comment

We had an unusual heavy snowfall here in north Texas today. I had to drive about 90 miles in it from a client's site. Much of it was very slow going.

As the Mustang in front of me fish-tailed, swerved, then ran off the highway, my very first thought was, "I really need to put down this practice chanter and quit driving with my knees."

Best, John
                            "What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.
                              Practice Hard, win easy!
                              Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
                              Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm not sure if this was dumb or witty.

While playing a combined gig with a brass band, one of their musicians spotted a few filing card sized tunes on the table at which a few of us pipers were sitting. We were asked if they were our music.

A piper quipped "Nope, not our music. We don't use music. We just make it up". Brass band musician accepted the answer.

???
                                Not too old to rock & roll; Pipe on!

Comment

Working...
                                X