Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Originally posted by phyx
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!
    I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore.

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way. </div></div>

Just make sure your designated tuner can’t come back with: “If you’d spend as much time learning how to tune your drones as you do polishing your silver, I wouldn’t need to touch them.”
    "SED-A-GIVE???"

www.boisehighlanders.com

Comment

Originally posted by classicbagpipes
      Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.
      That's because in Atlanta if it snows, everything stops.
      The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
      -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Comment

I remember when I very first began playing- I had a set of Dunbar P-1's, and I had just gottne my chnater and drones all set up and the pipes ready to go. Knowing nothing about reeds, I took my bass drone out, and decided I didn't like the way the reed looked, so I decided to shave it with a pair of scissors, like you would a chanter reed. I thought you did the same thing to both!
        SFU Pipe Band, Six-Time World Champions.

Comment

Left my chanter and cap on the bus after a competition....

Broke a very nice and very comfortable Naill wooden Naill chanter by twisting from the bottom....

During a VMI parade we were supposed to play AG together with the brass band to honor an alum who had died recently. I had the solo at the beginning, played it beautifully, the time came for the other 8 pipers to start playing.... a few squeaks and squawks, then nothing. I ended up playing a 4 part solo accompanied by the brass band.

A previous pipe major was pretty pissed at the band after a poor showing in a competition, packed up his stuff and drove off, leaving his pipes sitting on the field. Other band members brought it back to him.

The band introduced a stuffed elephant named Angus, presented to any member of the band who lost or forgot something. As he was being introduced, I was thinking, "At least I won't be the first one to have the elephant." Guess who left his music at practice that night?

A friend had brought her pipes out at a bonfire party. After playing, she laid them on the case and stuffed it under a bush. A bit of roughhousing ensued, someone got pushed into the bush, broke the bass drone in half. Ouch!

The Keydet Piper Blog

Comment

Don't know if this is dumb. But have you ever asked someone to hold your pipes and they put their hands on the mouthpiece part of the blow stick?
            "The only thing more beautiful than listening to music is the ability to make it."

Comment

Originally posted by David Goodman View Post
              forgot my bagpipes going to a gig.
              .........forgot the gig.......
              "Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - - Charlton Heston

Comment

Was holding a set of pipes near a fan with a low ceiling. It didn't hurt the pipes but it gave me a nice solid smack on the forehead.
                Never pick a fight with a guy in a skirt, especially when he has 699 friends, all in skirts.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Comment

I played with a guy who had got his pipes from his elder brother. He did'nt think of removing the chanter when not playing, so it had been in there with the reed for about a year. The instructor mentioned the sound, and decided to check the reed. To his big surprise; It was black. We had great fun with his little mushroom-farm, thinking about all the problems he would get in a security control at the airport.

He got a fresh, new (non smelling) reed.
                  Never sacrifice clarity for speed

Comment

Originally posted by PipePlayr View Post
                    .........forgot the gig.......

me too!

Comment

My very first band gig hung no.1's up in car everything on hangers only I decided to lay my kilt out on back seat to avoid crushing it. Transferred all to coach for journey to gig half way there realized I had left kilt on back seat.... made walk of shame to front of coach to tell PM no kilt - band was already a little light in numbers

When we got there it was pouring down so we wore capes, I went night shopping and bought some lycra shorts and wore full no.1s with cape and no kilt. Not sure if anyone noticed due to wind direction etc but we 'seemed' to get away with it

Comment

Packed my car for a very large high-profile wedding and arrived at the church 45 minutes prior to piping as guests arrived. Picked up my pipe case which was surprisingly light. Uh-oh! High-tailed it the 20 miles back to my house to get my pipes out of chair I left them in. Fortunately, I still made it back in time and everything went well. Always double-check equipment and arrive at gigs with lots of time to spare!!!
                        Mike
                        www.lynchirish.com

Comment

One dumb thing I've done once is to buy a set of pipes over ebay and assume that they were well kept and regularly played. took the pipes with me to competition, they played like a dream and the sound was to die for. Got in front of the judges, struck up, proceeded to fine tune and started playing my tune. Then, "Crack!". Blowpipe split in two, I got freaked out and played miserably Always oil your pipes properly before you use them heavily!

I've also managed to put my chanter in the blowpipe stock, thus ruining the reed by crushing it against the beck valve I have installed...
                          Hear, hear, the pipes are calling!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lynch View Post
                            Always double-check equipment...
                            I made up a checklist. As I get older, the synapses don't close like they used to, and I need all the reminders I can get. So far, I haven't forgotten the checklist

SCK
                            Old Soldiers never die, we just smell that way.

Comment

Got all my stuff together and drove 100 miles from Garden Grove, to Ventura California, got my hotel, and discovered no Kilt.

Drove 100 miles from Ventura to Garden Grove, to find kilt hanging nice and neat in the closet.

Drove 100 miles back to Ventura just in time to go straight to bed.

300 miles of driving on a friday evening through Los Angeles traffic, just to compete in a 2/4 march and a slow air... in grade IV.. to boot.

Lesson learned well...
                              The greatest talent is developed through the most diligent work. There is no such thing as raw talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Main View Post
                                Got all my stuff together and drove 100 miles from Garden Grove, to Ventura California, got my hotel, and discovered no Kilt.

Drove 100 miles from Ventura to Garden Grove, to find kilt hanging nice and neat in the closet.

Drove 100 miles back to Ventura just in time to go straight to bed.

300 miles of driving on a friday evening through Los Angeles traffic, just to compete in a 2/4 march and a slow air... in grade IV.. to boot.

Lesson learned well...
                                I drove off to a Scottish festival an hour away to play for the evening's events, and also realised that I had forgotten my kilt. I had arrived several hours early, but did not check my gear until the last minute when there was no time left for the 2-hour round trip.

The show was for very good pay, and my absence would have messed up a lot of people. A drummer in a sort-of Irish group wore a kilt, and he gave it to me to use. He was skinny as a rail, a crime of which I am not guilty, and the kilt only closed with no overlap on the apron, and several large safety pins. We hung the sporran low and prayed for darkness. Fortunately, the outdoor lighting was very dim, and I aquitted myself with acute embarassment instead of utter catastrophe. New rule: when you get past 55, make lists and set reminders with alarms.

To my surprise, I was paid in full, though I offered to take nothing. Even got hired again by the same fellow.

Comment

Working...
                                X