• Show
Clear All
    KiltSwinger
    Forum Silver Medal

• KiltSwinger
    replied
    Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Originally posted by ferraribagpiper View Post
    The dumbest thing I've done so far is to get my finger stuck in the top of my practice chanter...
    Originally posted by Zach View Post
    One time a few years back I was tuning drones and one of the piper's tenors was stuck so i started pulling on it. It popped off hit me in the eye and gave me a black eye.
    My son has done BOTH of those!

A couple of years ago, he was tuning his bass drone when it popped out, kicked up and gave him a black eye.....

And a couple of weeks ago, he was changing his bag cover and stuck his finger in the chanter stock....... it took him a while to work free. (I was of no help at all.... I was laughing too much!)

Leave a comment:

• S.A.P.C. P/M
    Forum Regular

• S.A.P.C. P/M
    replied

"Which SONG are we playing now." Instant letter-grade deduction for any of my student players on the spot!

Leave a comment:

• David Perkins
    Forum Regular

• David Perkins
    replied

something often said in my band:

Piper A, "Hows it go?"

Piper B, "It starts on E"

Leave a comment:

• Zach
    Forum Member

• Zach
    replied

One time a few years back I was tuning drones and one of the piper's tenors was stuck so i started pulling on it. It popped off hit me in the eye and gave me a black eye. Now when I tune drones if they are stuck I just shut them off and tell the pipers to fix it. Lesson learned haha

Leave a comment:

• ferraribagpiper
    Forum Member

• ferraribagpiper
    replied

The dumbest thing I've done so far is to get my finger stuck in the top of my practice chanter. I take it apart and dry it after I play, and I stick my finger in it to check that it's dry; one day I stuck my finger in too far and voila! All I could think was that I had to get my finger out before I had to go find Hubby in the garage and ask his help to remove the unstuck finger (he likes to use his hacksaw a little too much for my taste..). A couple of drops of olive oil and the finger came unstuck. Somehow I don't think this will be the last dumb thing I'll be doing in my piping career..

Leave a comment:

• Pip01
    Holy smoking keyboard!

• Pip01
    replied

Greetings to All,

This may turn into a very long Thread....
    mere mortals... as we are...

We... or most... have all done it, time to time...
    and shall... mayhaps... yet again...

I am most fortunate to be in such fine company!!

As well as having committed the several of the more
    usual mishaps already cited (banged drones, chipped
    chanter reeds, etc., et al), and during regular, band-
    playing hours, a major lapse of mind befell me a while
    back, and... at about three o'clock in the morning...

We had played several venues (taverns, actually, would
    be a more precise word)... and on into the wee of the
    hours....

Some had ridden with others, some had driven themselves
    to our several "venues."

At the end of it, at the last place, one of my mates was in
    NO condition to drive himself home, so I gathered up himself,
    our instruments, all our kit and gear, and maneuvered all into
    my car, and himself and kit and gear safely to his front door.

A bit later, at MY front door, unloading the car, I discover that
    I had, indeed, put a pipe case in the car... but only HIS!!.. and
    mine was, apparently, and still, at our last spot!

Like a shot... back to the tavern.. a lump in my throat... and
    a knot in my stomach...and through the door (they had a really
    late license), and the bartender looked up smilingly and said;
    "Thought I'd be seein' you again this morning."

He poured (yet another) Guinness, and put it, and my pipe case,
    back up on the bar... (And the Bells of Heaven did ring!)

This has happened exactly ONCE!... and is more than sufficient,
    at least... for my lifetime.

Regards to All,

Pip01

Leave a comment:

• David
    Holy smoking keyboard!

• David
    replied

Originally posted by Ray Main View Post
    Got all my stuff together and drove 100 miles from Garden Grove, to Ventura California, got my hotel, and discovered no Kilt.

Drove 100 miles from Ventura to Garden Grove, to find kilt hanging nice and neat in the closet.

Drove 100 miles back to Ventura just in time to go straight to bed.

300 miles of driving on a friday evening through Los Angeles traffic, just to compete in a 2/4 march and a slow air... in grade IV.. to boot.

Lesson learned well...
    I drove off to a Scottish festival an hour away to play for the evening's events, and also realised that I had forgotten my kilt. I had arrived several hours early, but did not check my gear until the last minute when there was no time left for the 2-hour round trip.

The show was for very good pay, and my absence would have messed up a lot of people. A drummer in a sort-of Irish group wore a kilt, and he gave it to me to use. He was skinny as a rail, a crime of which I am not guilty, and the kilt only closed with no overlap on the apron, and several large safety pins. We hung the sporran low and prayed for darkness. Fortunately, the outdoor lighting was very dim, and I aquitted myself with acute embarassment instead of utter catastrophe. New rule: when you get past 55, make lists and set reminders with alarms.

To my surprise, I was paid in full, though I offered to take nothing. Even got hired again by the same fellow.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Main
    Forum Silver Medal

• Ray Main
    replied

Got all my stuff together and drove 100 miles from Garden Grove, to Ventura California, got my hotel, and discovered no Kilt.

Drove 100 miles from Ventura to Garden Grove, to find kilt hanging nice and neat in the closet.

Drove 100 miles back to Ventura just in time to go straight to bed.

300 miles of driving on a friday evening through Los Angeles traffic, just to compete in a 2/4 march and a slow air... in grade IV.. to boot.

Lesson learned well...

Leave a comment:

• Airborne92
    Holy smoking keyboard!

• Airborne92
    replied

Originally posted by Mike Lynch View Post
    Always double-check equipment...
    I made up a checklist. As I get older, the synapses don't close like they used to, and I need all the reminders I can get. So far, I haven't forgotten the checklist

SCK

Leave a comment:

• Bushido
    Forum Clasp

• Bushido
    replied

One dumb thing I've done once is to buy a set of pipes over ebay and assume that they were well kept and regularly played. took the pipes with me to competition, they played like a dream and the sound was to die for. Got in front of the judges, struck up, proceeded to fine tune and started playing my tune. Then, "Crack!". Blowpipe split in two, I got freaked out and played miserably Always oil your pipes properly before you use them heavily!

I've also managed to put my chanter in the blowpipe stock, thus ruining the reed by crushing it against the beck valve I have installed...

Leave a comment:

• Mike Lynch
    Forum Clasp

• Mike Lynch
    replied

Packed my car for a very large high-profile wedding and arrived at the church 45 minutes prior to piping as guests arrived. Picked up my pipe case which was surprisingly light. Uh-oh! High-tailed it the 20 miles back to my house to get my pipes out of chair I left them in. Fortunately, I still made it back in time and everything went well. Always double-check equipment and arrive at gigs with lots of time to spare!!!

Leave a comment:

• codart
    Forum Regular

• codart
    replied

My very first band gig hung no.1's up in car everything on hangers only I decided to lay my kilt out on back seat to avoid crushing it. Transferred all to coach for journey to gig half way there realized I had left kilt on back seat.... made walk of shame to front of coach to tell PM no kilt - band was already a little light in numbers

When we got there it was pouring down so we wore capes, I went night shopping and bought some lycra shorts and wore full no.1s with cape and no kilt. Not sure if anyone noticed due to wind direction etc but we 'seemed' to get away with it

Leave a comment:

• Ian Turnbull
    Forum Member

• Ian Turnbull
    replied

Originally posted by PipePlayr View Post
    .........forgot the gig.......

me too!

Leave a comment:

• snowbear
    Forum Silver Medal

• snowbear
    replied

I played with a guy who had got his pipes from his elder brother. He did'nt think of removing the chanter when not playing, so it had been in there with the reed for about a year. The instructor mentioned the sound, and decided to check the reed. To his big surprise; It was black. We had great fun with his little mushroom-farm, thinking about all the problems he would get in a security control at the airport.

He got a fresh, new (non smelling) reed.

Leave a comment:

• Kirby Allen
    Holy smoking keyboard!

• Kirby Allen
    replied

Was holding a set of pipes near a fan with a low ceiling. It didn't hurt the pipes but it gave me a nice solid smack on the forehead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X